• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator not charging ?

ChrisV

Hi all,
Since I purchased the truck, ht generator charging level has been in the red to yellow range.
The truck has 2 new batteries
Volatge at the batteries with truck running is 23 volts
last weekend I replaced the electronics on the back of the generator and re-installed
No change in the output , I have adjusted the small screw under the hex cap and no change
What should I look at next?
Any help is appreciated

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Have you checked to see if the exciter wire(small wire that goes under the cover) has a good connection? If the alt doesn't get 24v to it, it won't "turn on" and charge.

wb1895

I had the same problem with my Deuce several years ago. Follow Gimpys advice and check the connection to the exciter wire that goes under the small cover on top of the generator. If it is bad the generator will not charge.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I just had two of Gimpy's generators tested last Friday and the tester didn't hook the exciter wire up the first time. Both tested bad. He tested again with the exciter and they both put out 28V at 55 amps.

By the way, with the cover off it is the small soldered connect between the two studs. Easy to break with a lot of vibration.

ChrisV

Thank you for the help. From what I remember the exciter wire had a glob of white silicone on it under the cover. I will check this.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have voltage to that small wire with the ingnition switch on?

ChrisV

I finally got around to testing the exciter wire (under the cap) and it is getting 23.5 volts (batteries are a little low form sitting). I think my next step is to pull it out and have it tested by a shop.

Once you have the alternator in your hands, take a quick look at the stator windings through the ports in the main housing. The two failed units I have seen had shorted the stators. The windings should be nice shiny lacquered copper. If they are burnt and black the problem will be obvious.
If a replacement is needed, tmamerica has a nice conversion kit to fit a Delco unit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks