• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

generator swap

hughscpa

Is the m35a2's generator a unique item or what other vehicles had the same one? I am getting another duece and seems to have a problem with the generator not charging all the time.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Most any 24v 60 amp alt will swap in. The generators are 25 amp I think. Do you have the regulator on the firewall near the steering column?

M725

Depends where you got the truck from, all the trucks I have worked on where 60amp. The military converted them a while back. It is the same alt that is used on the HMMWV. But I'm sure there are Some M35's out there with 25 amp still in there, that came out of the system a long time a go.

avengeusa

mine had a 60 amp unit in it, bad regulator, if anyone needs one for parts, or if yours needs parts other than the regulator, it is yours for whatever shipping the 30lb behemoth costs

gimpyrobb

I dunno, my trucks don't use the gen/reg steup. I just grabbed the reg "just in case". Your welcome to try it if you like.

hughscpa

Sorry, as the alternator. My experience has been more with the older jeeps that had a generator and a voltage regulator which are seperate items.

gimpyrobb

Dentman, these trucks started with generator/regulator charging systems and then progressed to alternator type charging systems. That is part of the issue when helping someone work on their truck, figuring out which system it has.

dentman

thanks gimpy. I started thinking about where AC power for M109's comes from which led me to believe this discussion was based around that. wishful thinking perhaps

Lex_Ordo

So here is the question that I can't grasp...
Is the 60 amp Alternator now used in place of the 25 amp generator and regulator setup?
Mine has the alternator, and i bought a 2nd, for a spare. I have no regulator that I knwo of on my truck, and I assume it will be a simple swap out when the the time comes to do so.

Alternators have the regulator built in where generators do not?
Not an electrician so this is foreign to me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks