• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Genset canvas cover

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found this image, posted by Armada a couple of years ago and my question is, is the cover generally similar for the larger (10KW) set? Is it made the same way with pocket and "draw string"?
I have a fuzzy image of a cover for the genset as mounted on the xm757 8x8 and it appears different, perhaps made of vinyl.

Pictures of "standard" 10KW genset cover(s) would be nice. TIA

Attachments

Last edited:

ida34

I picked up a 10k cover a couple of years ago. I will try to take some pics and post them for you.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn:
In that thread we were looking for manuals on a small 3kw diesel airforce gen set. It is much smaller than the 5 or 10kw units, if you are talking about the one on wheels, I am pretty sure that is a 1.5kw cover.
James

DieselBob

I would like to find fitted covers like that for a -18a and -003a. I guess if all else fails you could have them made at a canvas shop. I would prefer mil surplus though.

LanceRobson

This may sound crazy but we stopped putting covers on things like winches and generators that were outdoors because condensation was trapped under the covers and things corroded much faster than if they were uncovered and could dry out. I can't remember seeing a cover on a set after about '78. I only use covers for welders and generators in the shop to keep dirt and grit off them.

I can't ever remember seeing a DED 10 kW set with a cover because all the critical parts are well covered but we did use them when transporting the older GED sets to keep the mud and dirt out of them. As I remember it. the cover had a cinch rope, pamphlet pocket and a couple of flaps to reach the lifting eye etc without taking the cover off.

Is a cover listed in the TM as a basic issue or additional authorized item?

Lance

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lance, I agree with you on the condensation bit, but I still like the top covered, especially in the Winter to keep snow and ice out. I cover the winch that way (top only) and may make a "top only" cover for the genset. The Bikini top is another example.
Still, it's good to have the real thing as a reference point.

EnteJager

Timely thread, I went out this morning and uncovered the mep-003, I use a plain tarp with some bungee tie downs, fits almost custom when you fold the ends.
As I uncovered it I noticed all the glass had condensation, my next project will be a custom roof to keep the snow, ice , and rain off. I'll keep the fuel tank topped off too.