• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gensets at auction with oil filter and radiator hoses pulled? WTF?

bimota

Anyone here of a new policy of pulling bottom radiator hose and oil filters off perfectly good generators? I've not seen this before but do know that in some cases fluids should be drained prior to shipment. Pulling hoses and filters seems excessive.

Let me know what may be new policy or is this just a bad batch?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The people getting them ready for sale don't care. I've seen what looked like they took a pick ax and punched a hole in the oil pan because they were too lazy to unscrew a drain plug. Cutting to bottom radiator hose is also common as a way to remove coolant.

Isaac-1

I have bought a couple of things over the years where the lower radiator hose was cut to drain fluids. My guess is they were in a rush and did not have time to wait 15-20 minutes for the fluid to drain out of the slow draincock.

Rapracing

I bought an 003 and it had the filter canisters all sitting in the battery box. No filters. It's probably not the best thing seeing it could allow insects, dirt, etc in but I haven't had any issues with the unit. It was all clean, I wiped it off and put filters on. I'm guessing they know they are leaving and don't take the time to put them back together.

Glockfan

After 22 years working with this stuff, nothing surprises me. I typically tell folks to leave fluids intact if their vehicle moves under its own power or if a genset will start, whatever the case may be. My customers (y'all) usually appreciate it.