• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Genuine 24V Delco Alternator Overview and Identification

74M35A2

I'm doing some benchmarking, and recently ordered and obtained a brand new genuine Delco 24V alternator through our local heavy duty International truck dealership which is a Delco parts distributor. Being 24v in the US, they said only 1 existed in their entire distribution network and it took a week to arrive to them. Ugh.... If you want this unit, I would not suggest to use any International truck dealers since they said this. Even with the discounts through the company I work for and do this as a career living, the cheapest I could get this for was $325. MSRP on this is $472. Clones are as low as $89 (70a 24v). I bought it out of my own pocket as I am going to install and run it on my M925A2 for a live durability assessment. If you have somebody selling you a supposed new Delco alternator for less than $325 and it is new in box with warranty and receipt, it is likely stolen or not genuine. This model is a 28SI, which is rated at 110A and 24V. This is a conventional brush type alternator. One year warranty. Available in both J-180 short and long hinge mount, I grabbed it in short since almost everything else I deal with is short type mount. This one is Delco part number 8600467. The long mount one is p/n 8600468. I have not confirmed this to fit the MV bracket directly, but it "should". This will fit LDT/S, NHC-250, and 6CTA8.3 engines if you change to the correct civilian mount. As-is with the long mount and short alternator, the front 2 fasters will align and fit on. Some people use a 2" spacer pipe and long bolt to fasten the third on the rear. This really does not provide any lateral support, and I recommend the civilian mount, as they are available for all engines, in both new and used forms. The 7/8" common shaft can accept either the twin V belt pulley, or 8 rib serpentine pulley, this is not included but I have sourced them from $11-$24 new. Some interesting features that you will likely not find on a clone when viewed from the outside are as follows: Conformal coated rotor for corrosion prevention, Heli-Coiled stainless steel insert in the support bracket ear threaded hole (sacrificially anodized to tattle-tell if installed during RMA processes with OEM's), Delco Remy molded into the rear plastic cover, rear terminals labeled, Delco insignia cast into one of the mounting ears, Delco Remy adhesive label on rear cover, and the front fan bent at several compound angles to reduce noise and increase cooling. This is an internal regulator, twin internal fan unit that can run and operate with a single B+ battery wire connection only. It has the option to run remote sense, but is not required (unlike the stock MV alternators which have no fail-safe in them on this and run full tilt during "improper" shut down). It also has a terminal for "alt" warning lamp if you like or want one like a 70's GM car had, and also has an AC output terminal. This feeds back into the PCB on some M939 vehicles where the PCB has an electronics board and senses this AC output and therefore prevents repeat starter engagement if the engine is already running. You really can't use this lead to power anything, and the frequency of it is a function of alternator (engine) RPM. Instructions say 5a max, but even that is high, it is really just a low power signal wire that used to go to diesel tachometers and hour meters so they would not run if the key was left on but engine off. Historical usage type stuff.... Sorry, my paragraph spacing is still messed up making this an eye-test. If you made it this far without a headache, you passed. http://www.delcoremy.com/find-a-part/product-details/8600467/

IMG_0059[1].jpgIMG_0060[1].jpgIMG_0062[1].jpgIMG_0064[1].jpgIMG_0065[1].jpgIMG_0067[1].jpgIMG_0068[1].jpgIMG_0071[1].jpgIMG_0073[1].jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

74M35A2

Same pony, different tricks. Showing both pulleys, serpentine and double-V, either could be used, they both fit on the same. You can also likely have a machine shop bore your stock pulley to be a 7/8" slip fit, as these and most other alternators do not use a keyed shaft. They simply rely upon the friction of the pulley being tightened down by the pulley nut.

Attachments

74M35A2

Instructions say "Not for use with IGM's H1's"

Really, it doesn't matter or care what it is connected to. Send me a pic of a stock alternator or the measurement span between the 2 front ears, and I can tell you if it will fit or not.