• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Getting a FLU419 going, where to go for parts?

brandan34

Hi all, I live and work on a family cattle ranch and have always wanted a backhoe. I saw one of these on Craigs list this spring for less than what a similar sized backhoe normally goes for in my area. I went drove it and ran it and was temped to buy it. I know a proper backhoe would likely be more useful though we do have some places that a FLU could get that a backhoe could not. I was second in line and another person got it first paying way more than I was willing for it.

After that I kept my eyes open for them and ended up with one that needs a lot of TLC. It was listed that it would crank, I figured how bad could it be? As long as there are no problems inside the engine or transmission I can figure the rest out.(laughing at myself now)

By the time it got here to Oregon from Hooks Texas it was summer and we were in haying so just got it off the truck and ordered the obvious parts. Last week we started working on it in a big way, ~10 months from when it was inspected it does not crank. Printed the manuals and took the FLU apart. We found one of the cylinders was stuck with rust and there is the smell of gas in the high pressure pump(took pump apart it looks fine). I got the engine free and found that the rust had pitted the cylinder so it will be going into the machine shop to get worked on. I am told I will need oversized rings and such(first time I have worked on an engine), any thoughts on where to find those? Anyone happen to sell a rebuild kit for a merciades om352?

The transmission is also stuck. Has a rebuild tag from 2000s and looks fine from the outside. We opened it up and there is lots of rust. Some of the gears inside are pitted through the hard layer. The Master mechanic who is working with me says about half of the gears need replacing. Anyone have tips on where to find the gears for inside the transmission or just replace the whole thing? I have gotten the parts that I knew I was going to need from expedition imports and I will be calling them again tomorrow. Looking at their website I kind of doubt they have the gears.

Any tips on things that I should do to the FLU while I have it stripped mostly to the frame other than paint everything I can as I hope to never have it this far apart again?

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The transmission is also stuck. Has a rebuild tag from 2000s and looks fine from the outside. We opened it up and there is lots of rust. Some of the gears inside are pitted through the hard layer. The Master mechanic who is working with me says about half of the gears need replacing.
Thinking more about this one, I would fill the trans with N-Terpinal to get rid of the rust.

Unless there's severe pitting, and you plan on putting 50,000 miles on it, I'm guessing it'd work well enough.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks