• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GH-3153 welder and genset

1944mb

Hey guys i was curious if anyone had experience with this model of welder and generator. Looks like its from the 50s. I have an opportunity to buy it and was curious if anyone knew any flaws with it, or things that typically need addressed it has a straight six flathead in it 37578B52-FC93-445A-8E5D-DB712C94CC53.jpeg4A2B45B6-355A-40A5-9C40-16F83A6A0946.jpeg0547AF09-48F4-4611-BBF5-F17807466C54.jpeg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting. Rebuilt Granite City Engineering Depot 1955. Has the Chrysler 230 engine similar to M37 truck. If the engine is full of water the unit is uneconomical to repair. Issues with these ancient generators is the grease in the armature bearing is no longer any good, and getting to that bearing is a huge job.

1944mb

The fella is retired air force and has a collection of junk that his dad aquired. He had it running a couple of years ago...you know how that story goes. It had the air horn off the carb. Didnt check if it was free. The radiator had some rust in it. Is it worth going through the motions with it. One handy thing is everything is open and its on a skid-obviously. To grease this bearing it would need to be split or worse then that? What do you think its worth running? Its probably something I dont need laying around, although it could be handy. I just dont want it sitting for five years before I decide I need something welded in the field. Its on a 105 trailer I purchased and he was hoping I'd take the whole lot....including the remains of that g506-which Id do, to save from the crusher. Who knows maybe one day Id find a viable 506 or 508 project that isnt totally destroyed

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bearing is typically sealed. You have to replace it to grease it. BUT if all you need this welder for is to lay down the occasional bead, it’s probably ok. Continuous duty is the issue. Unit is probably worth $500. Trailer is nice. It’s possible the trailer and welder have been together since 1955.

1944mb

The bearing is typically sealed. You have to replace it to grease it. BUT if all you need this welder for is to lay down the occasional bead, it’s probably ok. Continuous duty is the issue. Unit is probably worth $500. Trailer is nice. It’s possible the trailer and welder have been together since 1955.
Id say pretty close. The mfg date on the trailer is 56. But they probably spent their time together. So you think if its running and welding it'd be worth $500? Anything else that is common failure? Is the engine pretty durable? Is it the same as a m37 engine or just similiar?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes that engine is bulletproof. The oil pan might be mostly full of sludge, verify before trying to start. Engine long block should be the same as M37, accessories are different. Personally I would start negotiating at $500. That’s not a lot of money these days.

1944mb

Yes that engine is bulletproof. The oil pan might be mostly full of sludge, verify before trying to start. Engine long block should be the same as M37, accessories are different. Personally I would start negotiating at $500. That’s not a lot of money these days.
Just out of curiosity what is a m37 long block worth if its old but runs-say if the genset was faulty?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks