• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ghost in windshield washer

Whit

Guys:

Well thanks to all the amazing info on this site I just fixed yet another gremlin under my dash, the heater blower which had me stumped for a while.

Now I have yet another issue: When I turn the wipers on, the windshield pump also goes on. (I don't mean when I twist that flat blade on the colum designed to make both to go on at the same time). In this situation I am just rotating the wiper switch on the end of the column. The wipers come on sure enough, but the washer also squirts and won't stop until I turn off the wipers.

Have searched through the forum and not been able to find a solution.

Any help most kindly appreciated.

Merry Christmas, BTW!

Whit

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a dirty/broke wiper control switch. You can get a new one at any parts store.

mistaken1

Take the cover off the wiper motor. The pump is integrated with it. There is a cam that rotates when the wiper motor is on. When you activate the column switch a coils pull an arm that allows the pump arm to catch on the cam actuating the pump. The arm is supposed to slide so that after so many strokes the arm moves over to clear the cam until it is once again actuated by the coil. The slide can gum up so that the arm does not move over and will instead continue to pump.

I lubed mine with silicone spray and made sure everything moved freely and was aligned properly.

Wolf.Dose

Mistaken1 is correct. Thats it.
blckdblnckl, was you wiper motor NOS. So the libricants on that are 20+ years old. Clean it, check for propper assemble, relubricate and try again.
When I had these troubles, no replacement was available. Some parts inside the pump actuation were worn out completely, which I found afte disassemble. So I added an extra tank with abottom pump from a Chrysler. Volume was only one Quart, but it worked with an extra installed push bottom.
Wolf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks