• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gillespie semi-gloss problem

dwhite

I have a "fresh" gallon of Gillespie semi-gloss that's probably 10-15 years old. I scrapped the bottom of the can and put the can on an aggitator for 10 minutes. After brushing a little out on an axle, and letting it dry overnight, I noticed that it has too much gloss. I re-aggitated the can for 10 minutes and tried another test section. Same result. Any suggestions? Does the flattening agent break down with time? Thanks.

JB

How much time? I am on my third coat with my m38a1. First one was really glossy. 2nd was more flat after more intense mixing of the first can. Painted my Dad's m151 same color different can shaken a lot and it came out semi-gloss. Gonna paint mine again this w/e with the remainder of that gallon.

Last edited:

ctmustang

You did say semi-gloss didn't you! You could try thinning it with acetone. I use acetone as it evaporates really quick and seems the quicker it dries the flatter it will be. This is my experience!
Hope this helps some.
CT

Carl_in_NH

I think they call for thinning with Xylene. The company web site has the information on the proper thinner. I've got some spray cans of the same paint and the gloss from them is different than the thinned paint that's on the remainder of the truck. Pain in the butt - because I bought a case of rattle cans for quick touch-ups when I painted the truck. Oh, well - at least the color matches and it stops the rust until I've got enought to go over with the HVLP gun with thinned paint.

tjmilitary

Ran into that problem before. The last half of the gallon wat flat. Next gallon from that case I stired up and shoke for at least 45 mins. Seemed to work fine and I always use xylne like they suggest.

ctmustang

Xylene has a little slower dry time than acetone but you can use whatever you want. I've been doing this for 25 years and just saying that experience is a great teacher.[thumbzup]

Jimma

Oh, yeah. I use xylene. Thats what they reccomend. Also if you ever touch up with one of their spray cans it will match nicely.

dwhite

Thanks for the help. From what I've been able to find, seems most folks thin Gillespie paint with about 20% xylene. I'll try that amount, and shake the can for 45 min, and see what happens.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks