• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL AUCTION

groundog

:) Has anyone been able to get a look at the wreckers coming up on auction 3-23-07 in Columbus Ohio?I called GL and asked about pictures but the woman who answered the phone was of no help

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I saw they had 4 wreckers, was told it was five and they have a bunch of 5 ton dumps. Anyone want to go it on a wrecker?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know that no one wants to hear this after they have posted...but keep these things to yourselves. We all know about GL. IF other have not done their homework, shame on them. No need to alert those that don't care to put in the effort. You now have served to point out to the Internet world about these trucks. Before you step back and assume everyone knew about them...think again.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto:

I hate to beat a dead horse as well, but I just don't get the point here. Anyone who intends to bid doesn't advertise the lots they want, unless they are trying to supress bids, which is a big no-no. Right now, there are 9 "un-logged" users who could be just surfing and now they know about these trucks. If I was intending on going for one of these, it would piss me off that someone felt the need to help GL with their advertising efforts...

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Loose lips sink ships.. The enemy is always listening. Things like this are better handled via email or PM, cause everyone and their brother can read whatever is posted here..

gimpyrobb

Gents, think what you want, but once someone post a location and dates, I am giving nothing away. Sorry for your loss. I have had this happen to me too and since Columbus is 2 hrs from me, I wasn't happy but the damage is done. I will not let the cat out of the bag.

M1075

I see no problem in posting about Ebay, GL, GSA or similar online listings. These listings are available to anyone in the world with a computer. After all, these are public auctions and are more easily found with a quick search than by trolling our site here at Steel Soldiers. Now if you are talking about Joe Schmo's estate sale listed in the local paper, maybe we should think twice about putting that on the WWW.

By the way, I'm going to a Joe Schmo auction this month that is believed to include several dozen military vehicles inlcuding those from 5/4 ton to 5 ton. Various states of repair from scrap to drive it home. If anyone needs/wants anything, I guess you will need to PM me.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember someone on this list posting something to the effect of..."please post about trucks coming up because I sometimes don't have the time to search for them." It was a post back in January when this same topic came up. Obviously, not everyone knows about them all. Heck, I follow GL religiously and I miss a bunch of things that come up. My loss... M1075, why don't you really put your cards on the table. Tell everyone which truck you are after, as well as the time and location of the auction. Heck, why don't you tell us all what your max bid is. It sure would help when some of the lurkers end up bidding against you. I'll tell you what...I probably personally know half olf the guys on SS...either because I have personal relationships with them, or because I've communicated with them online. Who knows how many lurkers I know, but probably not many. If one of the guys that I know posted a truck they were after, I'd steer clear of it. I can honestly say that, if i don't know you, and you post an auction, I would consider bidding against you (if the wife told me I could :lol: ...that's the line between you get your truck or I outbid you :lol: :D ...just kidding). I mean no offense to you in this case. Heck, I don't know you. I don't care who bids against me...but I can tell you that I don't want extra people bidding against me. I'll have enough competition without Dobe Doright feeling that he has to tell the world about some incredible find. I said it before and I'll say it again, one can only truly experience this situation if one is patiently waiting for a truck to come up, only to see someone else post about it. You know, I got my first M932 off of GL and it was included in the wrong sale (there were no other trucks). I got it for $4111.11 and it was nice. I just happened to be looking through a sale that had some wierd surplus. Do you think it would have stayed that low if someone hit SS with its location? I doubt it. In fact, I bet I would have lost the truck...period. As others have said, share information, just don't post it to the world...and the Internet is the world. People will do what they want, but that does not make it right. I will say that I almost guarantee the original poster had the best of intentions. I've been tempted to post such information, but I always come back to the fact that for every guy I will be helping, I'll be hurting some other anonymous individual who did his homework and was dreaming of a big green truck.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
one can only truly experience this situation if one is patiently waiting for a truck to come up, only to see someone else post about it.
Thats the truth...
I saw my truck come up in a discussion here because of what was in the background of the picture.. Some M151's... The post was something to the effect of look whats also pictured in the background of this picture.. Gave lot and event info.. I asked the poster to remove the post, explained why, and he promptly did.. The post wasnt about the truck at all, but the more people that see it, the worse it is for the bidder, but great for GL or Ebay..

Attachments

FreightTrain

Banned
Well,If I see a lot I really want bad on either GL or Ebay I will post about it and make sure no one else was watching it or going to bid on it.But if I see lots I don't want I will mention it in the chat room only.No posting.heck,doesn't really matter if we post it here or not though.GL advertizes in the Truck Trader now(The things at JippyFarts).I wonder if there is some rule they are breaking since they are not FOR SALE.They are "Advertising" an Auction.

gimpyrobb

I doubt they would get in trouble. Truck Trader gets paid by people advertising. Would you refuse buisness?

jkelly66

I agree with bruce if I see a truck on an auction I keep it to myself I will post about it after I won it. I am not going to post to see if someone will check it out for me because I am to sorry or lazy to do it myself. Simply put if you want your price to be higher now or in the future keep advertizing to the world on this or any other forum. If you want to keep the price where we po folk can still aford to enjoy this hobby shut up!!!!!

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got my M1028A1 off GL, but it was listed as a M1008. Looking at the listing closely I was able to determine that it was not an M1008. Had someone pointed out to this list that the truck was actually an M1028A1, I'm sure I would have had to pay more for it, or possibly lost it altogether.

Sure, lots of people know where to buy trucks. That does not mean that they look regularly and pay attention to every sale and lot. If I spend hours scouring through the listings and find some obscure thing that I want, I don't want someone else posting it here to let the world go right to it.

Pointing out something you're seriously interested in is also foolish in my opinion because you are assuming that everyone looking at this list will bow out for the sake of "brotherhood". Nonsense. If I knew someone was seriously interested in a truck and I was not seriously interested, I might not bother bidding at all, but that's more because I'm NOT seriously interested. It's not really because they are interested. I don't need to acquire any more "useless Army stuff" (paraphrasing the wife), so I tend not to bid hard on things unless I really want them. I would NEVER ask anyone NOT to bid on a truck I wanted. I don't know if they might have seen it before me or they want it as much as I do or more. Who am I to stop them from bidding on and possibly winning their big green stuff? THERE ARE NO "DIBS" ON AN AUCTION.

I only personally know a small amount of members on this list. I would bid against anyone here if I really wanted a truck they were bidding on, as I would expect anyone else to do. I don't necessarily need or want to know who I am bidding agaist, but I have no problem bidding against people I know for trucks. Whoever wants it more will get it and I'm fine with that. I've lost WAY more trucks than I've won when I was seriously bidding on them and that's OK. Someone wanted it more than me. As I and others have pointed out in the past: Except for the case where someone is hoping people will bow out, NO ONE POSTS ABOUT THE TRUCKS THEY ARE PLANNING ON BIDDING ON!!! Nor do they post exactly where that truck sitting behind the barn is that they are hoping to acquire. Why is that? Might they be afraid someone will buy it out from under them???

littlebob

I have a different outlook on this since following this site for the last year. When I bid on mine on GSA, I kept it off the forum till I won it, but soon after remember posting links to upcoming Auctions thinking I was doing everybody a favor when I was probably just helping escalte the price.

littlebob

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks