• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL is a Barnacle upon the Butt of Progress

nf6x

Feral Engineer
About four years ago, I won various items such as an M105A2 trailer, a couple of M103A3 genset trailers with 10kW gensets on them, and four 2.5-ton trucks in GL auctions. As is typical for GL, the paperwork accompanying them was thoroughly screwed up. Form 97's had registration numbers instead of serial numbers listed as VINs, had other errors, were for the wrong trailer, or were not provided at all. Also, instead of titling the vehicles as legally required, GL would provide Form 97's in their name along with letters transferring ownership (also containing similar errors). As I understand it, this is called title skipping, and is illegal.

Since the paperwork provided was so thoroughly useless, I simply ignored it and used a title service to establish original civilian title to the vehicles and trailers.

Recently, GL contacted me by email to say that one of these trailers from 4 years ago has been reclassified from A to Q, and that I'd need to fill out an EUC. Great. They expected me to identify the trailer from a 4-year-old listing number and a DTID number (yeah, right!). Further digging through records at both ends of the conversation revealed that the original paperwork supplied with the trailer had the wrong year listed, and listed a registration number that was not painted on the trailer anywhere. They had no record of the serial number (which is the proper VIN, of course). It turns out that my trailer still has a legible DTID sticker on it, and I then discovered that the DTID that they provided wasn't even correct (it was off by one).
I decided to go ahead and fill out an EUC for it rather than fighting the idiocy any more. The web form that they provide for filling out the EUC produces incorrect EUCs, as it turns out. For example, it fills in the name as "First, Middle Last" instead of "Last, First Middle". So I manually corrected errors like this in the PDF that it finally spit out. Also, where they plug in "See Attached" for the item description, I replaced that with the serial number (i.e., VIN) and correct DTID for the trailer I received. After all, if I knowingly allowed them to attach their incorrect item list to the form before sending it off to Battle Creek, I'd be perjuring myself.

I bought through DRMS before GL came around, and while it was painful and frustrating as you might expect from any government agency, it was still a lot better than working through GL, paying them a middle-man fee, and in return getting more frustration, worse service, and no accountability for anything that goes wrong.

In every correspondence with GL over this EUC issue, I've pointed out all of the different ways that they screwed up, and made it clear that I don't value their continued existence at all. It'll be interesting to see if they decide to cancel my account or anything based on my criticism.

I've been satisfied to simply not buy through GL for a few years based on my uniformly bad experiences with them (there were others in addition to the ones described here). Now that they've seen fit to rub my nose in their thorough incompetence once again, I feel motivated to do something to try to fix the problem.

Do any of y'all know who might be appropriate people to contact to complain about how bad GL is? Is there anybody else out there who doesn't believe that GL's involvement in surplus disposal is beneficial to US citizens, and wants to see them knocked out of the picture? Although I doubt it would work out this way, it would sure be nice if they didn't get their contract renewed.

kcimb

Funniest Thread title ever!

Disclaimer: I do not own an MV (working on it), nor have I ever dealt with (I hope I never have to) GL. I am simply a college puke who plays X box all day and nothing else.

Alright.

Supposedly GL's contract is coming up soon and I'm pretty sure they want that contract to be renewed. I also think they'd hate to have you mail your congress critters. Emailing a photo of a dozen letters addressed to your Congressman seems to have an effect (As I was told).

Although GL is bad...Org's that do nothing to stop this stuff are worse.

Michael

I am afraid that the government's solution to GL is going to be to stop selling to the public. I am afraid they are going to sell to a few big companies and let them export all of the stuff they don't bury in a big hole somewhere.

kcimb

Re: RE: GL is a Barnacle upon the Butt of Progress

Michael said:
I am afraid that the government's solution to GL is going to be to stop selling to the public. I am afraid they are going to sell to a few big companies and let them export all of the stuff they don't bury in a big hole somewhere.
Or dump in the sea :x

Blood_of_Tyrants

Okay, I'm a newbie here, but I have dealt with recalcitrant bureaucrats before and nothing lights a fire under their bureaucratic butts faster than a call from a congresscritter's office. All congresscritters have assistants whose job it is to help their constituents with problems related to the government.

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey,
I just bought a state truck at a state auction. (pa.) Now remember, the state of Pa. OWNS the darn truck. I check out at the auction, but can't pickup, because THEY CAN"T FIND THE TITLE.fine, I also bought my daughter a car and can only take one vehicle at a time home anyway. I call 2 days later, I have to WAIT WHILE THEY REISSUE THEMSELVES A NEW TITLE (amazing) before I can come pick it up. BTW it is a 83 K3500 dually p/u and for some reason has to come as a "police" vehicle on the title.
I also bought an ex military trailer at a state auction that was for sale AT THE EXACT SAME TIME on GSA. It sold after I had already purchase and picked up. So whoever bought it at GSA (same location. pics and everything) got screwed out of a trailer. It sold for less at GSA. I emailed for a refund of the difference, gee, no reply.
As for GL, have bought many items at Pa. and NJ locations, no problems so far.
thanks for the vent.

sprucemt

You can file a complaint with DRMS in Battle Creek. Also check the sticky in Conversations as in regards to DOD. Also check search on this site for all the other discussions about GL.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
i definately had my issues with them over the past few months getting a title and then having to wait for them to correct it after they lost the title I had to return to them.

I also am concerned about the future of DRMS/GL sales and would hate to loose the opportunity to buy from them. On the flip side, they need to abide by what they state for time to receive title and if they screw something up, they need to provide the customer service to expedite correcting their mistake.

They finally delivered my title today to an old address so I hope it is correct and complete. If not, I have went to my Congressman twice in this matter. GL is an agent of the DRMS. They are accountable to them since they are their govt contracted agent for selling govt surplus. Who catches the blame line---DoD for any Congressional complaints.