• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL paint marker remover?

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone have a suggestion for removing GL's paint marker from the truck without hurting the trucks CARC? All those numbers looks funny.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ditto on the brake clean. I think it will eventually fade to almost nothing, the stuff on a trailer I got is so faint now, you can barely see it.

Melvinitis

what about the sticker remanents? That stuff... it just want come off, even on glass a razor blade takes a lot of effort. I am talking about the plastic like fiber they use, where is has the accq value and all the other basic info they put in a posting.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
How about the spray paint they use for lot #'s? I am thinking about a sanding block with some 1K or 2K grit sandpaper and a water hose and trying to sand the #'s off.

Opinions?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Re: RE: GL paint marker remover?

clinto said:
How about the spray paint they use for lot #'s? I am thinking about a sanding block with some 1K or 2K grit sandpaper and a water hose and trying to sand the #'s off.

Opinions?
My inclination would be to try Easy-Off. CARC is a very high quality paint - spray bombs tend to be very low quality paint (and preperation before spraying is hardly by the book). My hunch is that the highly caustic (I.E. don't get it in your eyes, mouth or on your skin) oven cleaner would dispatch the spray markings long before damaging the CARC.

Try this on some hidden area before soaking a door panel with Easy-Off.

Regards,
David

nattieleather

RE: Re: RE: GL paint marker remover?

goof-off may take the fiber tape stuff off. When I was a computer tech I had access to a product called Rubber Restorer. It was used on the rollers on printers...anyway some of that stuff would take any gummy substance right off....but now I don't have access to it any longer. I understand you can purchase it off the web if you want to buy a case of it.

Jones

The marker of choice is the Markal B Paintstik. It's main ingredient is linseed oil so whatever will cut it, will remove it.
CARC is pretty tough stuff so I wouldn't worry too much about hurting it... just ask the guy who's tried to remove it.

Jones

Goof Off is good for sticker glue. Spray paint is usually an enamel so go after it with the appropriate remover. Not sure I'd sand CARC because the dust is hazardous and you could end up smoothing out the surface texture which is also a trademark charecteristic of CARC. A stiff bristled brush and strong soap is a consideration.

lstmate

The best remover for label residue is GooGone. I am a printer tech too and this is the best stuff to use to remove label residue. They have a gel and a liquid. If you have a paper label you can soak the label and let it set for a minute or so and then peel it off and wipe the stickey stuff off.Onece you get the plastic label off the residue can easily be removed with this stuff. It might work on the paint too. I buy mine at walley world.

Back in the mainframe-operating days we used industrial orange oil to remove stuck envelope-stickers out of chain printers, which could be a horrible mess. Worked superb and smelled god. That stuff dissolved and cleaned almost everything and does no harm to ones health.

CGarbee

MEK works well for removing the paint marker off CARC. In my area, they are using a GP-X marker to apply the numbers (and the imfamous "don't run" on the doors of one rig I purchased...). 3M Adhesive remover works well for pulling the glue residue off (and the sticer themselves for that matter).

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
roger-wilco-66 said:
Back in the mainframe-operating days we used industrial orange oil to remove stuck envelope-stickers out of chain printers, which could be a horrible mess. Worked superb and smelled god. That stuff dissolved and cleaned almost everything and does no harm to ones health.
Wow! I hadn't thought about working on chain printers in years............never know what you will see on this site.

;-)

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Goo Gone for the adhesive. There are several different paint removal products on the market specifically for graffiti so one of those would probably work since they're designed to just take off the surface spray paint and not what's underneath it.