• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL purchessing

DT466Man

me and a buddy are thinking of going in on two dueces....right now some runners are going for 600.....and they have less than a day left in the auction.

so we are going to do some research and bid at the next auction on some other trucks

how often do they have the auctions??

what kind of fee do they charge?

say we got one for 1500 how much would they want ontop of that?

paperwork??

area52

You will need to fill out an End User Certificate (EUC), which the first time around takes awhile(45 days?).

Once it clears, they invoice you ($1500 + 10% buyers premium) then you can go pick it up.

After that you have to fill out an inspection form with all the vehicle info and fax it over to them and request a SF-97 $60.

then the fun begins because you can't stop at just one!! :shock: :cookoo:

DT466Man

ya i figured that out, i have been reading alot

so we won't have to front any cash until the euc clears??

Michael

You need to read through the terms and conditions on GL including the EUC stuff before you even consider buying a truck from them. It wouldn't hurt to do a search for GL here and read through that to.

Bottom line is you better be prepared to wait 6 weeks for you EUC to go through then be ready to get you purchase off of GL's lot on one of the few days they will agree to meet you there the week after it goes through. There is no weekend or after hours pickup. Then you need to remember that the government can demand you give the truck back at any time with a refund for your purchase price only. You also can't sell it to just anybody either and you must keep up and have records of who you sold it to. You are agreeing to all of that when you place your bid.

DT466Man

we decided to wait till summer and research the buying process a bit. i don't want to rush something like that. if we wait, we can each get a duece. meaning 2......more fun.

if i don't find what i want cheap enough on GL, i will just buy one ready to rock privately. i figured if i could pick on up for a grand there and put 3-4 in it in fixing it up that i could put a/c in it a radio make it a little my own. i would love to do that

i will probally get one from someone privately that i know will make it home. i can haul it, but our 2ton flatbed that tows the g/n is gas....=$$$ to pull it, and my diesel pickup has a g/n hitch but i wouldn't want to haul it down the highway at 70+ without drw and my buddy's cummins doesn't have a g/n hitch.

so i'll just sit back and wait and learn and watch......and learn and save up a little more cash.....which means cleaner duece, more performance parts, bigger tires.....stuff like that

i would buy that truck today that i am looking at on GL, but all the terms and conditions and all the paperwork i feel it would be too big of a rush as the bidding ends tomorrow.....i don't want to get caught off guard. sound about right??

FreightTrain

Banned
Pretty much nothing to it.Do not bother reading the discription or looking at photos for real condition of vehicles.Just look to make sure it is not folded in half,actually apears to have atleast all the parts that make it go vroom vroom,and maybe state that it started.Then,Get 2 cheap batteries(you don't need special batteries,I used $39.95 walmart specials for a while),and go inspect in person.Fire the truck up(MAKE SURE IT IS OUT OF GEAR!!!!!)(also read the stickies here about what to do when first firing up an unknown deuce!) and see if the GL guy will let you tool around the yard a time or two to make sure everything works.Do this for as many trucks as you can before the GL guy kicks you off the base or calls the MPs after you.Make sure you write down the auction number for each truck with a detailed discription of what you found and what repairs may be needed(and the numbers off the Data plate for a vin incase you win one).Now bid.When you get the high bid on one,you will have to wait a day or two for a notice.When you get a notice,take your Drivers license,Scan it and Email it to GL.Print out the EUC paperwork and fill it out correctly.Read over it about 5 times before filling it out,as your filling it out,and after you fill it out(15 times total).Once you do all this to make sure you didn't leave anything out Fax it to the GL office listed in the Email.....Wait 2 days and check your EUC status on your account.On day 3 revise your EUC and resend.....wait 3 days and check your account EUC status again.Hopefully this time it will say EUC sent to Battle creek....now wait 30-90 days depending on your record and how many EUCs are ahead of ya.Once you get a notice from GL that your EUC is approved they will remove their money from what ever account you used when you bid.Remember,What you bid PLUS 10%.So make sure you have it in there.When the EUC is cleared,you have basically,2 weeks to come get your stuff unless you sweet talk the GL guy into letting you have a little more time.You will have to have insurance to drive your truck off the base so that is where the data plate info comes in handy from above.Depending on the state you live in you may not have to worry about a SF97($60 extra).I for one do not since my deuce was built before 1975 and alabama does not issue titles for vehicles before 75.But I went ahead and applied for one anyway since I might want/have to sell in the future and it will be a big plus if someone in antoher state that requires titles can get one easily.

ida34

Re: RE: GL purchessing

FreightTrain said:
You don't pay tax on vehicles.Taxes are charged when you tag a vehicle.If taxes were charged call them up and request a refund.
Sales tax is charged if you do not have a sales tax license. Some states will look at the invoice and apply any tax you paid to the tax due for the state. If you paid more you are just out. If you paid less then they will want the difference. Alabama may be different but every vehicle I have gotten from GL has had tax charged at the rate where the vehicle was picked up. Michigan will look at my invoice and not charge me again but it has been discussed that other states go ahead and charge you again. The reason sales tax is paid at the place you get the tag is so they can catch the taxes on cars sold between individuals. If you buy a car at the dealership you pay the sales tax there. Again, I am not sure of how AL does things but one should expect to have to pay sales tax for vehicles bid on with GL. I have a sales tax license but these are not purchased for resale so they are not tax exempt for me.

DT466Man

RE: Re: RE: GL purchessing

thanks freightrain......ya i was looking at one or two that did say they run, but had low bids.... looked a little rusty but not bad.

i'll probally save a few extra grand by the summer incase it needs a few things to make it right, tires, lube. i'm deaf in one ear, so it needs a really good radio....really good....i like four things girls, sounds, ford trucks, and old military trucks. stuff like that and in the mean time keep watching the auctions. i suck at body work although i can paint and do mechanics pretty good. so i want one pretty straight.....these one's aren't on a base. smyrna, tn is the closest to me.

i wouldn't bid if i didn't have the money.....that would really suck when the bank called haha. i'm good at being ahead cash wise, but i have a decent job, i'm young and i have no bills or anything to payfor other than insureance, tags, fuel, and school........so i might aswell get some toys before i aquire more bills and can't do it as easily

DT466Man

well then....aslong as the motor doesn't sound bad....i may be grinning from ear to ear anyways.

what limits how much power these things make???

say i put an intercooler from a PSD ford on it...turned up the fuel, larger exhaust, changed the compressor wheel, better flowing air filter.....what is stopping it from making 200-225hp?? are they detuned so people cannot tear them up in the military so they last longer??? or are they like the old idi fords where they have high compression.... don't worry i would have pre and post turbo pyros on it, boost guage.....probally an air inlet temp guage.....oil temp guage...trans, rear end guages....i like to know what my trucks run. so if i turn it up...i can watch it to see if i need to do something to bring it back....ie intercooler to keep the egt's down and such.

FreightTrain

Banned

I will put it another way.....if you get the radio loud enough to hear,you won't be saying your deaf in one ear for long!Has anyone ever actually measured the noise in the cab of a deuce at highway speeds?I know it has to be over 120Decibels since with my 32DB drop ear muffs my ears still ring!

FreightTrain

Banned

There is nothing on these engines NOT impeding Horsepower.Sharp Twist and turns from the airfilter to the exhaust pipe including inside the head casting itself.The compression is actually more than an IDI.They were designed so Private Dumb arse couldn't blow it up unless he tried for a while!