• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL questions thread..

tamangel

maybe the GL Rep or some of you can answer this question..

Why is it that most of the auctions are for a very short time?

Most Deuces I see are a 2 day bid open and close time frame..

Is it because there are so many trucks coming in that they have to move them quickly or...?

I live on the Northern California Coast, quite a distance from all the good stuff and cqn't be flying here and there for inspection on , relatively, a moments notice..

It would seem that a short 'window' also shinks the market share for GL.. Although that doesn't seem to stop a lot of you.. :) .. Maybe its just most of the good stuff seems to appear on the East Coast..

Maybe GL just don't worry about that philosophy (potential customer base) and want to move stuff asap! Although from alot of the stories that are told, seems like EUC waits would pile up units causing jams as new gear shows up..

Mike

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Once the trucks are on the site, you can preview them. You do not have to wait till they are getting bids.

Michael

It is probably a hold over from DRMO. When they handled it, there would be a few days to preview and then a few days to bid. They wouldn't let you look at anything else on the lot, just what was open for preview. Now I can't preview anything that is on a base because I don't have a military ID and can't get on the base.

chuck500cc

It looks like Barstow has some nice stuff but too much of it. If they would list "drivin in", or " drivin to laction" it would be nice. Those boys need to take a look at Camp L. NC. They provide enough info to buy SUS. They are great to talk to on the phone also. 2cents

Chuck XD Fan

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I kind of like the short auctions myself. If I'm bidding on a truck I want it to end before too many people notice it. I've slipped upon a couple like that.

tamangel

What happens to GL sales items that don't sell during a particular auction? Do they just hold them at the location and re-list them a while later or ...?

Mike

Melvinitis

I asked for some more information from Barstow once, all I got was a standard letter, buyer beware, must preview.

All they had under discription was, "Chevy Blazer" , asked for somthing like milage, year, got the form letter back.

nhdiesel

I actually think the waiting time is too long. Although the actual biding is only for a couple days, the items are sometimes listed a couple months in advance (usually several weeks to a month or two), which gives lots of time to forget what you were interested in before the bidding starts. Unless you are on GL all the time, its easy to see something you are interested in today, then have to remember to bid the 3rd week in March (just an example).

If anything, I'd rather have less preview time (although those of you who actually live close to the items can actually preview them in person), but more time allowance for pickup. The 14 days is a pain, when it can take several days just to get in touch with someone to try to schedule the pickup. I don't see how the people who have to hire a shipper can get it done in time. When I bought my trailers in Maine, I only barely managed to FINALLY reach someone about 3 business days before the 14 days was up. There is no way I could have scheduled a transport company to go pick them up that quick!

Jim

goldneagle

I actually think the waiting time is too long. Although the actual biding is only for a couple days, the items are sometimes listed a couple months in advance (usually several weeks to a month or two), which gives lots of time to forget what you were interested in before the bidding starts. Unless you are on GL all the time, its easy to see something you are interested in today, then have to remember to bid the 3rd week in March (just an example).
Give me a break! Ever heard of a STICKY NOTE? How about a note on a calendar? Lipstick on the mirror? If you want to buy something soooo bad you will figure a way to remind yourself! Otherwise you were really not serious about bidding on it.

BTW I have forgotten to bid on items within 6 hours of looking at the reminder.. You get busy -you forget. Don't blame the time period if you forgot.

aua 2cents

nhdiesel

Sorry...this is where HOW something is said doesn't make it across the web, just WHAT is said. I didn't seriously mean that the times should be shorter...just that they are plenty long enough. The actual bidding time is plenty as well. Unless you are my father, who still doesn't get the online auction thing, most people wait until the last couple hours to bid anyway. 2 or 3 days is plenty for bidding, and the 1-2 months most of the items are listed for give plenty of time to find them and preview them (if you are close enough).

Oh, and I don't have the space for sticky notes. :lol: Between GL, ebay, Dovebid, slickdeals.net, and all the other things I watch, I could wallpaper my house in yellow!

Jim