• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glide-out spare tire carrier...

Drock

After replacing all 4 tires + the spare . I realized reinstalling the spare tire is a ridiculous process, involving a floor jack, feet, and cussingaua. I found some pics online mentioning a (Glide-out spare tire carrier) mostly used for Chevy trucks with RV bodies. The only problem is they are now an obsolete part. LMC truck sells bits & pieces of it but not the arm assembly it's self. Anybody know where I could find one of these?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It might be easier to retrofit one of the hoist type lifts that current stuff has. I've bought a few from yards for under $10. The glide outs don't glide out too well, or at least they don't glide in very well.

Drock

It might be easier to retrofit one of the hoist type lifts that current stuff has. I've bought a few from yards for under $10. The glide outs don't glide out too well, or at least they don't glide in very well.
That was original idea, but I'm really not sure how to get the crank thing worked out. The slide out thing just seems quicker an easier to install.

jpg

That was original idea, but I'm really not sure how to get the crank thing worked out. The slide out thing just seems quicker an easier to install.
If you take it off road, the slide-out sounds easily damaged. The cable drop seems hard to damage.

cucvrus

You can find one of the complete crank kits with the tools at a Youpulllit. I have put several on in the past. They work well. If you find an older Isuzu pickup it will have a chain in stead of a cable. Even better. I put a few of them on also. I like the original spare tire carrier but I do agree as I got older it is a bear to get in and out. I never used a floor jack. But I always ended up dirty. With out cussing. But the crank ones are easier and you just hole saw a hole in the rear bumper for the crank and put a grommet in the hole. Good job post pictures. Happy Holidays.

Drock

Ha! thanks, yeah if you have any pics of how you installed the winch that'd be great. That would make it much faster for me. I agree the winch is ultimately the better solution. I just don't have the time as a 1 man small business to (A) take the time to engineer it, and (B) have my only work truck down while I figure it out. That's why I figured the "Glide-out" thing would just be quicker.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing to be.aware of. The disc that goes through the rim comes in different sizes. Make certain that the one you buy fits your rims.

cucvrus

I added a few inches of flat bar to the end of the carrier. and just cut a piece of 4" channel across the lower frame flanges and bolted it or welded in place. Easy. No pictures. That truck is long gone.

rustystud

After replacing all 4 tires + the spare . I realized reinstalling the spare tire is a ridiculous process, involving a floor jack, feet, and cussingaua. I found some pics online mentioning a (Glide-out spare tire carrier) mostly used for Chevy trucks with RV bodies. The only problem is they are now an obsolete part. LMC truck sells bits & pieces of it but not the arm assembly it's self. Anybody know where I could find one of these?
Stay away from the "Glide out" carrier ! I had one on my 1 ton Chevy. It was a pain in the A$$ to deal with ! I finally just threw it away ! The biggest problem was dirt. If you could keep it spotless down there then it would probably work. As it was any dirt would cause the whole thing to stick and then you had to basically crawl under the truck and kick out that stupid tire ! I'm to old to deal with that anymore. I carry my spare in the truck bed now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks