• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plug controller fuse on M1009

2deuce

Which one is it in the fuse box? The M1009 has been sitting and I think there is a corrosion/continuity problem as it ran when parked. The controller isn't supplying power to the GP relay so I'm not getting any power to the glow plugs. The card itself doesn't seem to be the issue. I don't think I'm getting power to the card. I only have lights on the right side of the vehicle, no dash lights, so I think I have bad connections.

Thanks

2deuce

I don't think the controller would blow a fuse in the fuse box but I'm thinking a badly corroded fuse might be the problem. Maybe a temp sensor is keeping the glow plugs off. Any ideas are welcome. The TM doesn't address where the fuse is for the glow plug module.

Thanks

cucvrus

There is a 20 amp fuse in the fuse box for the controller. But you could have the electric going to only the input side of the glow plug relay on the firewall and not coming out on the output side. Common issue if the surfaces or contacts are pitted or corroded. Take a look at that.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A good cleaning of the electrical system may be in order.

The Fuse Box Layout thread in the always a great place to start when asking about fuses. And the wiring diagrams.

To answer your question, looking at the wiring diagram E-7 the controller gets it power from circuit 39G. Looking at wiring diagram E-4, circuit "39" is controlled by fuse #17 (engine control)
E-07 GP Feed.gifE-04 - Circuit 39 Taylor.GIF

Last edited:

2deuce

Thanks to both of you guys. I couldn't get any voltage to either terminal that actuates the GPS, and it remains silent when the key turns on. It does have power to it waiting to be switched. I did check the engine control fuse and it is good and I did clean it with no effect. Now that I know that is where power is for the GPM, I won't need to clean the rest of the fuses until I get the truck home. I do have power to the pink wire on the injector pump and the truck smokes out the tail pipes when it's cranking so it just needs some heat in those glow plugs. I have thought about jumpering around the GPS just to get the truck started. I pulled the engine control fuse thinking that fuse controls that pink wire on the pump but it's not the one and I never did find the fuse for it. I haven't looked for any drawings on that.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can always install a manual switch for just these times. Instructions are in the Helpful Threads Sticky.

The wiring harness for the GP module has a 6 pin connector. You may have bad connections there.

Last edited:

2deuce

OK, my next question is where is the source of power for the pink wire on the GP relay? It sounds like I'm barking up the wrong tree. I don't have power to the pink wire(or blue). I thought the controller supplied the voltage, but it only completes the circuit. The key switch does work when it is turned to start, but not to on or I don't have power to the key switch. I have a feeling there is power to the switch(since the start side works) but I need to work that switch a few hundred times.

2deuce

It was the ignition switch. I had worked it yesterday, but not enough. Today we sprayed it with brake cleaner, and worked it on and off for 5 minutes, re-connected the batteries and after a few more tries got power to the pink wire on the GPR. After that, and a ten second wait, she started right up, didn't even get 2 revs on the starter. Still no dash lights, wait light and still only lights on the right side of the truck, but I think I can get that cleaned up. Change a tire and I should have it home tomorrow. The sticky on installing a manual glow plug switch really helped. Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks