• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plug for 6.2

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Same question has been asked and answered herein the forums at least 100 times. Nothing new has hit the market, previous posts cover it well.

You have been a memeber here for a year, do you read any of the threads ?

REDWOLF

Yes i am on this sit just about everyday for a least a cpl minuts. I have been on her today for about 2 hrs all together looking for part numbers on glow plugs and i only found 2 and one was discontiued and a cplg of sugestions for others but no numbers. Just tryning to find the best ones for the money. I also like having a good part number for my parts guy when i call him. Thanks.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
AC60G is my recommendation. You'll need to change your terminals, or modify the gp terminal. I like to install new terminals on my wires.

Sasquatch

Current recommended one's seem to be the AC60G's or Bosch Duratherms, but I haven't seen a part number for those.

Unfortunately, I ordered the Wellman 070's that were listed on the Wiki before I searched the forum and found out nobody recommends 'em any more, the Wellman's I pulled out had no to slight swell, and none were even tight, so since I already bought them, I threw them in.

Consider doing the glowplug resistor bypass if you haven't already.

TCUCV

The Bosch is what I'm probably going to get b/c you supposedly don't have to change anything...just swap them with the old ones. Has anyone had a bad experience with the Bosch plugs?

edpdx

doghead, where do you get "new terminals"? Do you steal em off a set of wires from the boneyard? Do you buy a whole new set of wires?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
doghead, where do you get "new terminals"? Do you steal em off a set of wires from the boneyard? Do you buy a whole new set of wires?
You cut the old connectors off and install the new spade connectors.

They are the female end of electrical spade connectors, available at your favorite parts store.
They just don't have the bakelite cover on them.

You can go with the exposed or insulated connectors. I prefer the insulated ones.

Attachments

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

sick as a piggy

Ive had it with glow plugs and relays etc! On the F350 ambulance I just purchased from dispoal agent.."oh we couldn't start i" "but" (he had said!)... Examined it today..Wires cut to pre-heat relay and solenoid...military didt'nt even bother to just pull the connectors apart. AND (now) the glow plugs are stuck! as well!. I (simply) can't be a...d to pull the heads to remove them (they are obviously swelled up)..also has the usual prop bend! also some relays gone from the siren kit..SO..It's a "BREAKER" and spares for my other ambulance...Ho hum I WILL be more carefull inspecting next time.

Had looked real good at the yard..and seemed complete on quick! inspection.

Attachments

edpdx

ralbelt and Warthog, thanks for the info. I have some of the covered ones on hand from an amp install on my wife's Cougar. I'll get on it.

Midnight Rider

I didn't realize there was a difference in the spade connectors on the plugs until I started installing the new AC60's. I just ground down the spade on the glow plug so that it would fit the stock connector.

Seems to be working fine.

dafterfire

Someone said they ground down the spade on the glowplug, I cant find the thread for it now...Question is is it still working...Sounds easier than changing all the wires. ALSO I got a set of autolite 1110 plugs from the parts store....are those the right ones ot use?????

rnd-motorsports

Problem with grinding to fit terminals is
#1 you could break the post off then junk plug
#2 your on the road have to change them no grinder you cant plug them in
#3 all the replacements have the larger terminals. just change plugs and never worry about it again plug and play then!

Reason's to grind
#1 ????? cant think of any :confused: for about 5 bucks and another 10 min just change the wire ends!

kentuckycucv

if you have a bench grinder they are easy... I just hit both sides and they fit.... one was a little too fat but I got it pluged in. I put in the AC60g plugs. Some of those back wires looked to be a pain in the butt to get to so I went with the grind method. And are you really going to be stuck somewhere and have to change out a glow plug.... I had 3 good plugs and 2 moderatly working and 3 dead plugs and my truck still started, so I think its unlikely to have a plug go out and have to make an emergency plug swap. Maybe I will hold on to my 3 good wellmans for a worse case scenerio event.

Midnight Rider

Someone said they ground down the spade on the glowplug, I cant find the thread for it now...Question is is it still working...Sounds easier than changing all the wires. ALSO I got a set of autolite 1110 plugs from the parts store....are those the right ones ot use?????

Yes, they are still working fine. Just changed out 3 Swellmans a couple of weeks ago and ground down 3 more AC60s.

Problem with grinding to fit terminals is
#1 you could break the post off then junk plug
#2 your on the road have to change them no grinder you cant plug them in
#3 all the replacements have the larger terminals. just change plugs and never worry about it again plug and play then!

Reason's to grind
#1 ????? cant think of any :confused: for about 5 bucks and another 10 min just change the wire ends!
1. Just be careful and it isn't a problem.
2. Like someone else mentioned I was running on 5 so 1 bad one isn't going to stop me from getting somewhere I could access a grinder. I could always use a file if I had too.
3.That would be a bonus, but that would take time. Plus I still have2 Swellmans running OK.

Reason's to grind.
1. Saved money and time in trying to replace connector ends.
2. Didn't know there was a difference until I was trying to install the new ones. Late at night and trying to have the 1009 running by morning doesn't leave much time to go hunting for connectors.

I'll just stick with grinding for now.

DonK

I vote for the AC60G's...Do a little grinding, then buff, tweak the metal in the connectors to help the connection bite a little better (I used a Seal Pick) and go from there. How's the communist state of Maryland doing?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks