• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plug question

ElvisArronPresley

Newbie here, and before I ask I would like to apologize if I am asking a question that has been answered 100 times before. I have searched forums for a couple hours and can't find the answer so here goes. I understand the resistor bank bypass to avoid the snowball effect on the 12v glow plugs , but I hate cutting up anything that came stock on the 86 m1009 blazer. I'm just wondering what the problem would be with running 24v glow plugs ? I'm sure there's a reason it can't be done, I am ignorant to it however. Thanks for any help / response in advance , and am sorry if it's a stupid question.

Thanks!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could run 24v if you wanted to. You would still have to remove the resistor pack and the controller card would not function properly as it is designed to read 12v (might even burn it up, never tried it ;-) )

There is no need to cut anything if you do not want to. Just make a new power wire.

cucvrus

No stupid question. I just run the entire CUCV system the way it was designed on every truck I own and have control of the maintenance on. I have not had any of the issues. I keep everything as original and use 13 G AC Delco glow plugs. Why?? Because it works. If it is not broken I do not fix it. I do change parts when needed and glow plugs on occasion. But other then that my experience has been keep it stock and it will always be easy for you and the next guy to get parts for, and diagnose. The last 3 people I sold CUCV vehicles to said they were buying them because they were not all hacked up and still had everything as they were from new. That helps with the use of the TM /CUCV bibles. I hope that help you out. Get ready for more opinions. I just sold a member here a truck that I ran hard for 19 years/173K miles and never changed any of the systems. I just did hard strict PM on it probably more then needed. I used it in the bush and woods of northern and south central PA. With out fail. NEVER walked home or out of the woods. NEVER.

welpro222

I switched mine over to 12v by using the roscommonequipmentcenter.com method. It was very simple, the hardest part was changing the starter. I left all wires in place and taped up, I left the resister bank and drivers alternator in place also. Very easy to change back to 24v if I need too.

rsh4364

Very good ?,I have been debating same thing.Maybe run 4-8 ga wire from 24v power to a a circuit breaker or sufficient fusible link,then to GP solenoid then to 24v GPs.Wondering if our GP solenoids will work with this set up? If we go 24v GPs,It will still pull GP power from both batts.instead of 12v.from just front batt.Both my 1009s are manual only GP setups,no control cards.I am not an electrical person so will not be offended in any way.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks