• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plug setup from civi 6.2? 12 volt conversion

Nickaru

I just have a question about the glow plug problems with these CUCV's. With the problems I've read about on this site, has anyone tried to use parts from a civi 6.2 diesel, such as the glow plug card and relay?

The other one I'm trying to figure out is why is it frowned upon converting to 12 volts? I can see if you want to keep it original, but with everything I've read on here about electrical problems, why wouldn't you convert? I'm automotive electric savy and it would eliminate a some parts and that would mean less to go wrong.

No starter relay problems. No charging problems with both alternators (cooking batteries). No resistors to bump down 24 volts for the 12 volt glow plugs.

Just wondering.

dependable

For some people, 12 v may make sense. My first CUCVs were 12 v when I got them and they worked fine. I do like the way the 24v spins the starter. As for the civilian system, they had problems as well. There is a fairly expensive, and not that reliable controller in these systems, and they were designed to run 6v "quick glow " plugs. When the controllers fail, they send 12v to plugs and fry them. It is quite easy and advisable to run manual glow with 12v as well.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Electrical conversions are frowned upon here because:

We have no idea how it was done, they are never documented, people have "different" ideas on how to do it, etc......

With a stock system and me sitting across country from the truck, I can tell you which wire should be connected to which terminal and should have this voltage.

Can you do that with a modified system? I know I can't.

With that being said, there are improvements that can be made to the trucks that will extends its life.

The "dodhead" starter relay conversion is one. Not that it is changing the system, but replacing a weak part for a more robust component.

And when it comes time to sell the truck, do you tell the new owner all the modifications, provide wiring diagrams, etc.

They buy the truck, have issues, come here for advise, and we spend hours/days trying to figure out what is wrong before we discover it has been modified. All this for free. Now if someone wanted to bring me the truck and pay me by the hour to figure it out, that would be another story.

So yes, I frown upon electrical modifcations.

Last edited:

m38inmaine

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 24v starter draws half the amps the 12v does giving you much better starting in cold weather. The glow plugs also tap off the 24v system giving less amp draw from the batteries.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks