• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow Plug Tech Article

mangus580

85-m1028 Has written up a great article on converting your glow plugs to the civillian controller. It is in the TA section, and can be directly accessed by clicking here.

85-1028.... If you could supply me with all the GM Part #'s, I will add them to the article. Would be of benefit so we dont have to make parts suppliers look them up :)

Michael

A good bit of the drawing is lost in the black background but now the link at the bottom works and it all becomes clear. Thanks for the good info. This would be the way to go if you let anyone else drive your truck or plan to sell it. The manual push button is still a good opiton if you are the only one driving it.

Mike
Tishomingo, MS

mangus580

Personally, I prefer the stock mil system. Mine works good, and I think properly maintained, it should last quite some time.

Yeah, the drawing does get lost in the black background. That is why i attached it to the link. I am actually considering swapping themes as the default, as the 'green' one is much easier for everyone...

85-m1028

mangus580, the part # for the replacement harness is in there that should be the only part thats hard to find, I didn't list #'s for the controler relay or the temp switch because there are many different companies that make these and the price varies quite a bit. I figured the person doing it could find the best price in their area, I see them listed on e-bay all the time. the replacement harness connector I actualy paid about $27 for at the dealer then found it on line alot cheaper :shock:

UPDATE go to the ac delco web site www.acdelco.com

heres the delco part #'s

pt2367 connector

212-367 controler

212-319 temp switch

Michael

I prefer the stock mil system to if it still works. You don't have to do this to use civilian over the counter glow-plugs so I would strike that as a benefit. Also, what do you look for in a temp switch? I am guessing you would ask for one for a civi 1986 K-5 blazer with a 6.2 ?

Mike
tishomingo, ms

Sam27

I have the civvy conversion on my M1008, or most of it. The person who installed it (not me), left off the temp switch and just connected pin C to the glow plug voltage. I'm not sure if it's a big deal, just means they run all the time. If I decide to make it right, what do I need? Is the switch the same as the coolant sensor, or are there two separate parts? Do I just go to the parts shop and ask for a glow plug temp switch for an 86 6.2L? Thanks.

85-m1028

ya just ask for a temp switch for a 86 6.2 diesel they shoud find it , the switch is not the same as the sensor the switch is set to open the circuit at 125 degrees coolant temp, therefore not completing the circuit and defeating the relay, I really havent had it cut the plugs since the weather started cooling

85-m1028

Michael said:
I prefer the stock mil system to if it still works. You don't have to do this to use civilian over the counter glow-plugs so I would strike that as a benefit. Also, what do you look for in a temp switch? I am guessing you would ask for one for a civi 1986 K-5 blazer with a 6.2 ?

Mike
tishomingo, ms
I probably would have stayed with the military system had it ever worked for me but I didn't have the time to try and track down replacement parts, trouble shoot not really knowing if it was a fix. this just seemed to be a better alternative since I've dealt with the civy system before. I spend alot of time out in the boones and don't like the idea of eqiuptment failure. I converted to 12v system and will installing a york compressor where the old drivers alternator was so I just considered it part of my conversion. at least the info is there should anyone need it..

I put civy glowplugs on the benefits side because you can adjust the glow time on these controlers and some plugs can benefit from extended glow time or shorter glow time depending on the kind of weather you see in your area. :)

Taz

I am resurrecting an M1031 and installed a complete civy harness that I had. It seems to me that the plugs do not have enough cycle time as it is hard to start (not near as long as my 1008). I am curious about your mentioning of adjusting the glow time. How is this done?
Thanks for the great info!

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure why you would go through with all of this?
After my 8 plugs got Nuked I changed over to 12v AC60G AC Delco GP's, removed the Ballast resistor and wired the Glow plug relay direct to the 12v block just above the Glow Plug relay, Truck fires right up, the GP light comes on for about 7-15 seconds on first start, No issues what so ever since I converted about a month ago. No need for any timer,temp switch....AC60G GP's are self regulating, I beleive they will not surpass 1400 Degrees so they will not swell.
Everything in the CUCV is 12v except the Starter if memory serves me correctly so the controller is an AC Delco type part...No?...Please advise

85-m1028

THE HUMMER GUY:

The first thing I did "trouble shooting" my military system was to bypass the resistor and go straight to the 12v block, I remember the glow light coming on normaly but would get shorter and shorter as the plugs were dying off one by one, I went through two more complete sets of plugs? I didn't think that placing the load of the glow system on one battery was optimal. Converting to a 12v starter would place the entire electrical load evenly across the batts. I wanted to know when my plugs are glowing and for how long, but didn't want to hassle with a manual switch if I could avoid it. By using a relay to ground the positive lead wire of the glow light and activating the relay with glow plug voltage my "WAIT" light would go on whenever the plugs were getting voltage so I could monitor the cycle and duration. The civy controller is available through several manufacturers I just searched around and got a reasonable price and when it dies I can just go to the local parts store and pick one up!!

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not concerned about the load on the single battery though, the Glow plugs really only get used once or twice a day anyway, thats really not that much to ask for, then the battery is replenished anyway from being charged...I mean if you went to 12v on the whole truck you can either go singal battery or rewire to get double CCA out of the 2 batteries.

mangus580

its not the balance that I was suggesting. Thats alot of load to put on a single battery, right before you start cranking it over. All the civvy diesels had 2 batteries even.

Just my suggestions...

Guipo

I just put a 6.5 in my m1009, and all 8 plugs were burnt out. I just replaced them, but could bad wiring be the cause.
I checked them, and I am certain they all turn off with the controller, but I'm using all my CUCV wiring mostly. I of course am running 12V. What do you guys think?

Sam27

What is the purpose of the indicator light relay? Can't you just go straight to the light from the glow plug voltage?

Also, my Haynes book says the civ systems use 6V glow plugs? Does the controller only make 6V on its output? Seems like if you go to a manual setup, you'd need 12V plugs - not to mention self regulating ones.

CCATLETT1984

Sam27 said:
Also, my Haynes book says the civ systems use 6V glow plugs? Does the controller only make 6V on its output? Seems like if you go to a manual setup, you'd need 12V plugs - not to mention self regulating ones.
the 6v plug rating is for "fast heat" plugs. meaning that you are giving them 12v so they will heat up very fast. also not the best for longevity of the plugs since they are getting shocked with double the voltage that they are meant for. go with the Wellman 070 plugs, as they are self-limiting and are the correct replacement for the CUCV trucks.

85-m1028

Sam27 said:
What is the purpose of the indicator light relay? Can't you just go straight to the light from the glow plug voltage?
My guess is they didn't want the light to get zapped with 24v, so they ran the indicator light of the 12v side. This 12v lead comes from the light and get's grounded by the "military style controler card" to keep it isolated...

The relay was just a convenient way to use the glow plug voltage to ground the indicator light...

That really is the simple trick to intergrating the civy system...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks