• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plug wires melted

Larch

The glow plug wires burned out(on the passenger side). I plan on replacing the glow plugs and wires. I read somewhere that the glow plug wire is a fuseable link? Is this special wire or can I use any 18 gauge wire? If it is special wire does NAPA carry it?

I also plan on installing a manual glow plug switch and to bypass the resistor.

Thanks for your help.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The green portion of the GP wires is indeed fusible link wire. It has a special outer coating that resists catching fire.

GM designed it that way for a spesific purpose and I would replace it with the same type of wire.

Looking at the TM 9-2320-289-34 Tech Manual, Appendix Diagram E-7, the wire is a

18 Gauge Fusible Link, heavy-walled silicone over cross-link polyethylene.

Replace the wire with the same size and length of wire, as the length and size determines how much load it can carry and at what point it will melt.

You can order the wire online, get it from NAPA or special order it from other parts stores.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks