• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

glow plugs

itsunday25

i put new glow plugs in and 2 starts later they are junk i went throw 2 sets and its starting to get $ so if eney could help me it would be cool.

K9Vic

Please search "Glow plugs" and this should give you all the answers you are looking for. This has been covered here many times over. You can also use Google to search the site alone

Key words + site:Steel Soldiers

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glow plugs are just one piece of the puzzle. There are many other parts that affect the system. By just throwing in a set of plugs without testing the system is like throwing money out the window.

The Technical manuals cover how to test each component of the system.

The manuals are free here on the site. The CUCV Wiki pages has links.

K9Vic

na the wiring is all ther could the thing on the fire wall be bad i for get wat they are called lol.
Resistor block and yes that could be bad and if it is you are getting 24v to the plugs. You can always bypass the block by running a fusible link wire from the front batteries 12v side to the relay.

itsunday25

ok i got them on order and i got a new car but i pulled the old one out and it sems ok dos that mean it is still good or no cuzz when i first got it the i hooked the batts up wrong like the way u would a civil diesel this is my first mv so i did not no could that have frid them and the card ?

1986Blazerk5

What brand of glow plugs did you use? I had Wellman's 070 and they went quick i think they are garbage and they swell up at the tip, now i have ac60g's for 8 months now and not one has blown up. I highly recommend the ac60g's

SmokeyDod

You can check individually ea glow plug to see if its okay. Take them out and cut you a pc. of 10-to 14 ga wire abt 1 ft long. Cut back 1/2" ea end and get a battery, you can use them one in your car (no need to take out). Take one end of wire and use pliars to hold naked wire end on the spade end of the GP and then holding pliars firmly, touch the "threaded" area of the GP to the Pos + terminal of batt.,,, then with other hand take the other end of the naked wire and hold it "firmly" (you just use your fingers) to the Neg - terminal of battery. If you don't hold it firmly the wire may get warm on your fingers.
In about 5 sec or so the GP (if good) should start heating up and go to cherry red in abt 10 sec. If GP are "Bad" they will not heat up at all. Be careful not to touch the hot GP as they remain hot for several minutes and also watch where you lay them ie "out of reach of kids.