• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glowplugs..... and the "AFTER GLOW"

JoeydHMMWV

Ok I have a 1994 M998 it has a NARTRON PCB and GP Controller.

It has an intermittent issue below -5 degrees F (-20C)

I THINK it is the Glow Plug controller but the way the TM reads it says it is the PCB but the TM really does not address intermittent problems.

The truck ALWAYS STARTS the afterglow cycles but (Sometimes and it is occasional at below -5) before it becomes warm enough to disengage it disengages ANYWAY and if the motor temp is below about 140F the truck then SMOKES LIKE A HIPPY AT A POT CONVENTION once it hits about 140 then it is fine no smoke.
Above -5 I NEVER EVER HAVE A PROBLEM AT ALL.
Currently I am using Winter Blend diesel and I also Use Jet-A and JP8(when available) it really makes no difference on the fuel basically it is the temperature
I know with diesels if it is below a certain temp and the motor is not warm they all smoke (Have a Cat backhoe that has a similar issue and it has a manual glow plug system and until it is warm enough it smokes) BUT OF COURSE THE High Maintenance Money Wasting Vehicle has a fine system THAT SHOULD NEGATE the smoke issue.... But is only is negating it for only a few minutes!

Thanks for the input
Joe