• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glues/Adhesives

Third From Texas

Been looking for something to glue my Sika board insulation to the walls of the hab. I was going to pick up some Sikaflex 552 but nobody local has any.

Suggestions?

Liquid Nails?

Etc?

Also, I need to come up with a kitchen splashboard. I'm looking at a few tile options, but again I come back to glue/adhesive. I know RVs typically use a "flexible" grout (which as best I can ascertain is just tinted silicone). Some of the tile stuff I looked at was really heavy and I put it back as a result. I don't know enough about what it will take to glue it to the wall and what to use in place of grout.

@chucky you're rockin kitchen tile, what did you use?

GENX

Elasticity and elongation of similar match would be preferable. I am not sure Liquid nails or Loctite would stand up to all the flexing and might introduce failure over time. Not in stock per say; but delivery early September. There's Sikaflex521

According to the spec sheet it's made for general Bonding :

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Been looking for something to glue my Sika board insulation to the walls of the hab. I was going to pick up some Sikaflex 552 but nobody local has any.

Suggestions?

Liquid Nails?

Etc?

Also, I need to come up with a kitchen splashboard. I'm looking at a few tile options, but again I come back to glue/adhesive. I know RVs typically use a "flexible" grout (which as best I can ascertain is just tinted silicone). Some of the tile stuff I looked at was really heavy and I put it back as a result. I don't know enough about what it will take to glue it to the wall and what to use in place of grout.

@chucky you're rockin kitchen tile, what did you use?
amazon.com/dp/B00176CZFY/ref=twister_B0762HLBR9?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never waste your money on anything liquid nails . Lowes stock the loctite 3x in the big 28 oz tubes alot more economical just pick up the big cheap caulking gun for big tubes and sikaflex is great but more for outdoor adhesive
I used liquid nails construction adhesive for adhering wood to metal all the time. These were mobile applications for on and off road use. I found out during removal it was easier to just leave them in there as the wood would break before the adhesive did.... I'd be pulling out slivers of wood as it splintered...

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used liquid nails construction adhesive for adhering wood to metal all the time. These were mobile applications for on and off road use. I found out during removal it was easier to just leave them in there as the wood would break before the adhesive did.... I'd be pulling out slivers of wood as it splintered...
I watched a couple different comparisons of construction adhesives on youtube and liquidnail was always on the bottom of the list when they were done and loctite on top !

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I watched a couple different comparisons of construction adhesives on youtube and liquidnail was always on the bottom of the list when they were done and loctite on top !
No doubt. My experience is anecdotal, of course.... Just saying I personally had good luck with it. Project Farm wasn't around back then ;)

For my application, it was mounting emergency vehicle equipment (sirens, light controllers, radios,etc) on the back walls of F150s and F250s which can't penetrate to the outside. That meant 3/4 ply cut into a square, then glued and screwed to the interior metalwork, so the trim/carpet could go over it, without seeing the wood.

Each ~2x3 board had about 40-50 lbs hanging off it, with zero issues... Those 100W radios are heavy.

Here's one of them mid install, hence all the loose wires still and not everything hooked up. But you can see it's mostly adhesive with a couple strategically spaced screws to aid in adhesion and act as a backup. You'll also notice due to the ribbing that it's not a solid surface to attach to, limiting the adhesion... and still, no issues...

inter2.png

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks