• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GMC M211 how to clean the fuel tank

Canda7414

Hey guys. I have a 1953 gmc m211 that runs great except the gas tank is very rusty and it will only run for a few minutes before it plugs up the fuel filter. Has anybody taken this gas tank apart to clean it somehow or does anybody have any ideas? Thanks.

armytruck63

You could try removing the tank and swishing around swimming pool acid in it. Wear goggles and gloves. The disadvantage to this method is you could get pinholes if the rust is really severe. You will have acid-rust mix that you'll need to discard.

I've also heard of people chaining the tank to the jacked up wheel of a truck and putting gravel or a chain in the tank, and then starting the truck, putting it in low gear and spinning the tank slowly. The tank may have to be re-positioned to get all the areas clean.

Canda7414

hey, thanks. I have considered putting a chain in it but I took the pump body or whatever it is out of the top and it has three baffles in it, so I decided that probably would work as well as I originally hoped.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In an evening of brainstorming and Canada's favorite fire starter, Crown Royal, we decided that clean pea gravel and a hammock would do the trick. Glad we didn't think about jacking up a truck and tying the fuel tank to a wheel but that seems like a better sober idea.
We tied up the hammock, wrapped it around the tank and spent the next 26 ounces shaking, rolling and sloshing the rock around inside the tank. It took and hour to tip, dig and flip the scale and rocks back out of the tank but she's still holding fuel. A light chain, or several chunks of chain slid between the baffles would have been a lot easier to remove so that's a good idea.
Most radiator shops have the proper tanks and disposal facilities to clean out a fuel tank with chemicals and some offer different products to coat the inside of the tank. The M135 Goat team did the full coating deal and Goose just had the clean out done with equal success so far.

You say the filter is getting plugged up! Is that an in-line filter you added, the screen in the inlet tube at the carb, the screens in the pump container in the tank, the screens on the pump itself....or something else?
Some boys have the train of thought that an inline filter would do the job of cleaning the tank so they keep extras with them and prepare to change often.

Gizmo, one of the last M135's ever built did some field bouncing/ troop hauling this summer and bounced the fuel tank enough that 'more' debris was knocked loose inside the tank and we fought with it all summer. Cleaning the tank right the first time will certainly save a lot of grief down the road so let us know how that cleans up for you.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the filter is an inline filter before my fuel pump. the old pump was not with the truck when I got it. thankyou.
That would be a set-up we'd all like to see. I haven't done it but I'm told there's a check valve or flap inside the existing plumbing so hooking up an external pump takes a bit of work. The original internal pumps are a bit rare so if someone solved this with an external add on solution, you could be helping a lot of early deuce owners get down the road, down the road. Any details on parts numbers, pics or how they solved the plumbing challenge would be appreciated.

Welcome aboard and let us know if you need anything! https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?59917-How-to-post-pictures-a-tutorial

Canda7414

Well I'm not sure you would call it a solution but I just took the drain plug out and replaced it with a fitting and just ran the line from there, but when they had it run on an external fuel pump they route it from where the line originally came out and I believe all they did was take everything out of the original pump housing and cut off the fuel line and ran a hose down to the bottom of the tank. Both solutions don't seem very professional, but they both make it move down the road.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The the electrolysis method you a battery charger and an anode and the tank as the cathode. Water solution mixed with washing soda. Be patient and the rust will come off and then coat the tank.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just take all my tanks to the local radiator place to get them cooked out.

just me

We strap them to a mortar mixer filled with a couple boxes full of 1/2" nuts and cleaning chemicals. A few hours later, spotless tank.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Canda7414 a solution we use for farm tractor and other bottom outlet tanks with rust moving around on the bottom is to put a stand pipe in the bottom outlet fitting that is about 1" tall above the bottom of the tank. To do it we drill out the tank bottom outlet fitting hole on the threaded end about 1/4" deep to accept the appropriate copper tubing outside diameter. We then cut the proper length of tubing to get the 1" above the tank bottom, push it into the bottom outlet fitting we drilled out and solder it in place. With that in place the rust moving about on the tank bottom does not get into the outlet hose as easily if at all. It does however make you keep the fuel level above the pipe or you will run out even if you can see fuel in the tank bottom.
If, like on some farm tractors, the outlet fitting is a sediment bowl that is of a metal that cannot be soldered, a good press fit of the copper tube in it will work fine.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks