• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Going through Water...

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Now, I know the manual says 30 inches of water can be forded unprepared but realistically speaking how deep can I ford before I'm spending a weekend changing wheel bearing grease?

thanks for the help

Jones

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Going through Water...

Get yourself some "hose barbs" (pipe thread on one end, the other end accepts push on rubber hose like an old carb fitting). Remove the axle vents and screw in the hose barbs. Run rubber hose from the hose barb to however high you want; frame, firewall, it's your choice. End it with the axle vent and you're in business.

FreightTrain

Banned
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Going through Water...

Realisticly you will want to to pull the axles any time your in water deep enough to make it into the drums.No matter what vehicle you drive.Jeep,DUKW,M35A2,F150...

jasonjc

Rolling_Eudaimonia said:
Now, I know the manual says 30 inches of water can be forded unprepared but realistically speaking how deep can I ford before I'm spending a weekend changing wheel bearing grease?

thanks for the help
The book also says to service vehicle as soon as possible after fording water.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Going through Water...

FreightTrain said:
Realisticly you will want to to pull the axles any time your in water deep enough to make it into the drums.No matter what vehicle you drive.Jeep,DUKW,M35A2,F150...
I was figuring that. I hoped it might be better sealed.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Going through Water...

Offroadfabworks said:
Well it depends on how much work and maintnance on it. but you can use it as a submarine if really wanted ROFL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXXZRzAh4bg&feature=related
Yeah, I've seen that video too... I just wanted to know if say I went through 30 inches of water when Louisville floods would be spending the next week repacking bearings and draining Transmission fluid.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Going through Water...

FreightTrain said:
Plug the bellhousing and you are good for about 3 ft of water, next you have to worry about the crankcase breather, compressor air intake and then the engine air intake. The axle vents are not supposed to be a problem.
The reason for wheel bearing maintenance is that you can't tell if a seal failed or not without taking it apart. On the m656/xm757 8x8 there is an inspection port for this purpose, the brake drums are sealed and axle housings pressurized, but there is still the bellhousing plug....

Attachments

Srjeeper

Realistically Speaking, if your going to be spending very much time in 30+ - inches of water, you need to buy a boat not a deuce.

GL sells them too..... :lol:

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Srjeeper said:
Realistically Speaking, if your going to be spending very much time in 30+ - inches of water, you need to buy a boat not a deuce.

GL sells them too..... :lol:
yeah, I know, but I was trying to find out if there were any tricks or special items that would help with the occasional water-op. After all it is fun to play in puddles!

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got to be a good Boy Scout and always be prepared. :D Allen 55Cameo put on a cool ball valve on his and with just a quick flip it is closed. Right a quick 30'' water hole the bell housing might not take on water but when Louisville floods I would put the plug in.
PS make sure the the fuel cap has a good tight fit.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Floridianson said:
Got to be a good Boy Scout and always be prepared. :D Allen 55Cameo put on a cool ball valve on his and with just a quick flip it is closed. Right a quick 30'' water hole the bell housing might not take on water but when Louisville floods I would put the plug in.
PS make sure the the fuel cap has a good tight fit.
I'm tired of detours, I want to be able to just drive the regular way home from work. Yes, I'm using my M35A2 as a daily driver. I'm interested in this valve that he installed, where is it in the bell housing or did he put it in the hubs?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks