• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Going to Air Shift

dk8019

So miltrucks has two nice air shift transfer cases that I think I would like to put into my truck, one case that is, instead of relying on the Sprag mechanism. He's checking into the small parts availablity etc to complete the transformation, but I would like to know what the positive are for doing this. I understand that the Sprag system wears out over time, and may or may not engage when needed correct? Are there any fuel mileage advantages to air shift?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know about fuel mileage difference ( I doubt there would be any) but air shift is the way to go. He's got a good price on the airshift cases also. If I had a sprag I would jump on one of them in a heartbeat.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Allows you to use lockout hubs

Allows you to know when the axle is engaged and allows you to know it is continually engaged

I believe the sprags are a wear item (evetually ALL of them will wear out).

n1bnc

To clarify, since I had an M135 and there weren't any choices, do you need to switch the case along with the axle? or would 1/2 the equation be alright?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A thousand times better than a sprag! It's easy to swap out. If you get motivated, you can di the case swap in a days time.

dk8019

I'm not sure yet at this point, miltrucks has found the other components needed for me, and I know I should, but I can't make it down this Sunday. I don't have my trailer yet at this point, so it would need to go in the back of the M109 at this point. I know I should get it now, it's a great deal, even if it doesn't get put in until next spring. Got to talk to miltrucks and work something out!