• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Good Price For M52A2

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need to know whether $4500 is a decent price for a very nice M52A2 w/w, "D" turbo, Hard Top & Personel Heater. Have not looked real close at entire truck but the inside of the cab was very clean, entire truck is clean, no leaks, very complete. I believe he said it was late 60's truck, he may have said 68. Also has no rust. It did have an odd gauge panel, The speedo, tach and a clock were all combined into a large unit on the left of the panel.

No pictures right now. Really looking for the general value (understanding that it's very subjective).

Take care,

Opie

The gague panel contains a "tachograph" which can record engine rpm and vehicle speed against time, and I'm sure other things as well. Bjorn showed me one while I was at his place last week.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info on the tachograph. When I was a young telephone man with the Bell System some of our trucks had a similar device that was a gray box, I've also seen those on over the road tractors, company rigs.

Thanks for the insight on the M52A2. I'll try to get out to look at it tomorrow and get some pictures posted.

I really like my M275A2 but may need a 5 ton tractor for the M128A2C 12 Ton Semi Trailer. It weighs 15,000#'s empty.

Bjorn, are tractors with the Tachograph rare or what?

Thanks again,

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ahh the list continues to grow! Being that the M52 has a Multifuel, will it really tow the trailer that much better than a duece, aside from the better braking? What is the HP rating on the M52? Seeing the prices these trucks are bringing in now days, I would say that is a good deal for a clean truck.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm...Kevin, don't think that the tachograph equipped truck tractors are rare, the (July 1972) 9-2320-260-20 manual for the m818 has a 20-page section on it, I got my unit from a parts M52A2 and we have just seen postings by M1075 with his M911 HET truck tractor tachograph.
The clock is spring wound and it doesn't have an hour meter, which I would consider a drawback. It does require a key, possibly universal, which is missing on mine.
In one PS mag article from the seventies (?), it was stated that the tachographs were not going to be used any longer, I'll try to find that note and post it.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Devin, Yah I know, I'm wondering the same thing, is there any difference power wise with the M52A2's multifuel. Brakes on my Deuce Tractor are great, power steering would be a huge plus when manuvering trailer back into it's storage slot. I know I can add the air assist system. It's a very nice tractor. I'd kinda like to have a 5 ton tractor :?

I like the Cummins in the M818 but really like the front end of the M52, especially with a winch.

citizensoldier

motor comparison?

Arent the 5 ton multi fuel a better engine? Piston coolers, all turbos, and a bit more horse power? Just took a ride a 5 ton multi fuel wrecker. For a 32 thousand pound truck it got up and went. Way more power than any deuce I have drivin. Whats all the differences?
Uh oh.. did I open a can of worms here? :shock:
I am not a pro but have been watching many auctions and sales. That price seem fair if it is in the shape you stated. They seem to be on the rize. Not long ago nobody wanted the big stuff and you could get it for less. Not any more.. My 2 cents anyway... :D

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: motor comparison?

Gang, the M52A2 does have a higher towing capacity, 55,000 IIRC. The power steering is a huge plus when backing a semi trailer or any trailer ( I know). It gives you more of a big truck feel but doesn't fit as well into parking spaces. If you want power but don't like the looks of the 818 I would consider the M52A1 with the Mackk ENDT673. It rivals the power of the 818 but has a narrower power band. If you keep it in its power band it will outpull the 818. John Winslow usually has a few in NC and he is of the better folks at applying CARC. John has everything but his personal tractor is the M52A1. AMGeneral has one too but considering his Saturday outing, one might wonder about them.

MrAugust

RE: motor comparison?

iv nevers seen a tractor unit of deuce or m54 in england, always wanted one for the collection.... our guy got a wrecker the other month prtrol... oh dear price ov fuel in england.. is high... as for price a DEUCE in england is £4500 to 5000, in pounds work it out thats a lot ov dough......

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks