• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Goodyear MV/T tire pickup

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My son Adrian returned from California a couple of days ago and we took a day off to pick up the six 395/85r20 tires at Daniels.
The 450 mile roundtrip resulted in six Goodyear Unisteel MV/T tires for possible use on the 8x8. They are "85" not "80" as advertised, so they are a bit taller than I had hoped for. It also weighs 50 lb more than the NOS tire...
Five are dated 2000 and one 2003.
Here are a few images including a test drive around the field in Daniel's monster M813.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking good Bjorn! so you need to fine at least 2, preferably more of the 395s for the 8x8. That will look great with those tires on there!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, two more would complete the set. Five of the ones are worn to 9/32nds (35% left) and one is almost unused at 25/32nds (96% left, shown in image above).
We enjoyed meeting Daniel for the first time. He has a perfect place for MVs. :)

Hammer

Are those old tires a different measurement? 16-20 that is shorter then the 395?

Either way, those new tires are nice, and they would make GREAT tires for that 8x8!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are those old tires a different measurement? 16-20 that is shorter then the 395?

Either way, those new tires are nice, and they would make GREAT tires for that 8x8!
The original tires are marked "16-20" but are in reality 16/70-20. The 70% aspect ratio gives them a diameter of 42.5 inches. They are still 16 inches wide.
Ideally a 395/70R20 should be used, which would have a 42.6" diameter, but when one can't afford brand new tires.

The 396/85R20 have a nominal diameter of 46.6" so it'll be a tight fit....

I have started to mount one of the "new" tires and will report back.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, interesting exercise, the wheel slips right into the MV/t tire, the "safety" bumps aren't even tight against the tire bead, also, the gap is only 9 inches compared to 12 inches on the bias ply 16-20 tire.
Anyhow, expecting some trouble getting the tire to seal, I installed it on the truck without completing the mount to check the clearance and there is none. The tires are too tall and too wide across the tread area. The bias ply tires are not as wide across the top as can be seen in one of the images above.

The 80% aspect ratio wouldn't have been much better, so the search is on...

Attachments

998Junkie

This brings up an interesting question and one I searched for but there doesn't seem to be a consensus.

Civilian tire shelf life is recommended at six or seven years. What are military type tires rated for ( Mich xl's)? Or do you just look at the condition of the tire?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Bjorn, what is the clearance between the tire and the fuel tank with the original 16-20? I am guessing less than 2" by the way the MV/T hits. From what I can see in the one side-view, it looks like the suspension bogey similar to the rear of a cargo truck with dog bones and buggy leaves If that is the case then the suspension should cycle up and away from the tank as it compresses, correct? Forgive my ignorance about the 757 suspension design. I have been saying for years that I need to see that truck in person!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chris, thanks for taking an interest! The clearance with "regulation" tires is about 3 inches. The bias ply has a more rounded top and it's only 12 inches across the tread pattern, while the MV/T radial is 15 inches across the top, which is part of the problem when it's also oversize. Not clear in the image above is that the wheels were turned for a full right turn.

There must be enough clearance for snow chains and the sloppy fit of the tire on the wheel makes me question the ability of the new tire to operate at 10 psi. I don't mind some changes, but compromising the performance is not part of the plan.

Adding hundreds of pounds of unsprung weight will no doubt effect the performance of the suspension.
The extra 50 lb weight makes the tire more difficult to handle for one person also.

I'm going to check with a re-capping shop near here in Mt Airy, to see if the carcasses of the original tires I now have are good enough for retreading, in any case, the MV/T tires will not be used.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Junkie, about the life of tires, image below from TM 9-2610-200-14:

...from another source: According to Goodyear, there is no specific shelf life for aircraft tires; it depends on storage conditions.

BTW, does anyone have access to an earlier version of the tire TM (not Sep 2000)?

Attachments

tm america

how about running some 14.5 xls on there they are 43-44 inches tall would be similar width to the 16-20 probably a little heavy .but they would get you through the mudd better and would make a hugh difference on the street to

M1075

Those MVT tires are sweet! I have mounted a set of six on my M818 and love them. Too bad they will not work for you. I know we have seen pics of other 757s running 395/85R20, but they were Michelin XML tread. If you end up using them and need to finish the set let me know. I have 3 new ones left.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
how about running some 14.5 xls on there they are 43-44 inches tall would be similar width to the 16-20 probably a little heavy .but they would get you through the mudd better and would make a hugh difference on the street to
Yes, the 14.5r20 are a perfect sub. I have been aware of that since first suggested to me by Tom Bauer a couple of years ago, but I don't care for the tread design, I'm more in favor of the Goodyear G177 or the MV/T design, but may have to settle for them despite all, since there is no way new tires can fit my budget.
The 14.5 XL weighs almost exactly as much as the original 16-20s on the truck and the 14.5 inch wide tread pattern is even wider than the original due to the radial design. The aspect ratio is about 70% and they can be installed tubeless on the 12-inch wide rims...just too many pros to ignore.

Maybe I can trade the 395/85r20 MV/Ts for 14.5 tires. :)

Checked with Bray's recapping in Mt Airy, NC, and they charge $295/ea for recapping truck tires, so that's pretty much out of question too. They lent me a worn 14.5-20 XL to play with with, so we'll see what's develops.
BTW, they have warehouses filled with used military 1600, 1400, 1200, 1100, 900 and more for 20" wheels.

Attachments

Last edited:

Hammer

For most vehicles, I actually don't like the look of the MV/T tire.
But that 757 really fits the look of those MV/T tires.