• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got a new deuce, have some questions from under the truck.

drbarnes

Hello! I am happy to say that I am the proud owner of a 72 M35A2. I have been doing alot of reading on this site and its fantastic.

I have some questions from when I was under the truck adjusting the parking brake. First of all, I know the wear on the liners is uneven, and they need replacing. I am ordering some new pads but in the meantime, is the wear something I should worry about, or I am able to correct? The middle is worn much more than the ends on both the inner and outer pads. I noticed in the TM that the spring is pointed up and mine is pointed down, is this something that I should be concerned about?
I'll make you a great deal if you want to pick up a large quantity of 81mm's!

truck1.jpg

Also, this doesn't look right to me, should there be a cover and plug here??

Duh.jpg

And here's the truck

truck3.jpgtruck4.jpg

Thanks for any input.

David

Last edited by a moderator:

KsM715

Can't help with the brake, ( other than the parts TM should have a pretty good drawing of how the parts are aligned ) but yes there should be a cover and no plug in the threaded boss. Actually you take the plug out of the hole that it is currently in and install it in the open hole for water fording.

dmetalmiki

That spring is ok. A cover You should be able to make, or obtain an orriginal (used ) one. That theaded hole is for a plug when fording. Welcome to the site and you have a VERY nice looking truck there..Neatly singled out.

drbarnes

Can't help with the brake, ( other than the parts TM should have a pretty good drawing of how the parts are aligned ) but yes there should be a cover and no plug in the threaded boss. Actually you take the plug out of the hole that it is currently in and install it in the open hole for water fording.
Thank you for your reply, so if I am not planning on fording any water anytime soon the plug situation is ok?

That spring is ok. A cover You should be able to make, or obtain an orriginal (used ) one. That theaded hole is for a plug when fording. Welcome to the site and you have a VERY nice looking truck there..Neatly singled out.
I will probably make one, do I need a gasket for it too?

dmetalmiki

Well yes. Quite a simple job with an empty corn flake packet and a ball piene hammer. (or a suitable sized ball bearing and hammer) If you do not know this tactic google it. Goes allong the lines of; Cut paper to aproximate size. Lay over form needing the gasket. (the hole!) and gently tap round the edge (with the round end) to make a clean form. Then press the bearing into a screw hole and tap the Ball Bearing gently but firmly to make round clean (ish) hole for the bolt (s). Practice on something first. THEN tap round the trickier INSIDE form of the hole. needing the gasket. Go to it. Good luck.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

You will never get park brake shoes to wear evenly. They just aren't that well designed. They work great as long as there is some material left on the shoes and they are properly adjusted, they just weren't designed to be adjusted to wear evenly because they aren't a service brake. Slap a new set on there, adjust them properly, and be happy. DON'T throw the old shoes away! They get harder to find and more expensive all the time. You can get replacement friction material pads and rivets and rebuild the old shoes. If I remember right, a new set of friction pads is like $20.

rustystud

Your parking brake is normal. Just replace it like Jeepsinker said. Your truck looks great but it would help if you could post the pictures here. After awhile your off site pictures will not be there and then anyone else reading this post will not be able to admire your truck !

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I wouldn't worry about tapping out the inner hole of the gasket. It will just make the installation take longer.

FloridaAKM

Very nice truck! Welcome to the site & the Green Iron Laughing Academy. The gasket making is an old trick from guys years go who didn't have access to NAPA or the gaskets were just not available. An older guy I worked with showed me how to do it on antique outboards, but it works for everything. The previous posters have your info covered, so I'll not add anything else!

Last edited:

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from Kentucky, nice truck. Looks like you got your technical questions answered. Not much to add other than read the manuals, both operatoers and maintenance, wealth of information to keep you running safe and sound.
Have fun.
JC

Jeepsinker

When you replace the shoes, remember to back off the tension adjustment on the brake handle in the cab all the way, and make your initial tension adjustment from the cable end under the truck. This way you have full range of adjustment from the lever in the cab for the life of the shoes.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site and good looking truck.

Removed the photobucket links and inserted picture.

Unlike most other websites we do ask that you post you pictures here and not on other photohosting sites. That way the post stays relevant if you ever delete your pictures on the photo hosting site.

rflegal

Very nice truck - I am envious. And now the fun begins... Get some TMs and enjoy.

If you're looking for originals for the cover, you would need the plate and gasket:
ACCESS COVER 7520956, HOUSING GASKET 7520957 respectively - both on ebay if you search.
Not cheap by any means... but nothing is anymore.
By the way not my listings...
Bob

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I may have a spare inspection cover. I'll see if the cover I'm thinking of fits that area. It's yours if it's the right one.

Requital

Hello! I am happy to say that I am the proud owner of a 72 M35A2. I have been doing a lot of reading on this site and its fantastic.

And here's the truck

View attachment 528994View attachment 528995

David, did you per chance purchase this truck from a retiring gentleman in Florence, SC? If so, I followed his build and was very impressed with his attention to details. If this is that truck, I am sure you will enjoy it for a long time. If not, congratulations anyway, it appears as if you have a very nice truck there. Congratulation!

61sleepercab

Back to your brake shoes, in general if a regular brake drum on a wheel is worn to a greater diameter than stock then only the center part of the shoe will wear when in contact with the drum. Some drums have a maximum diameter limit measurement cast in the drum itself. YOU ARE OK ON EMERGENCY BRAKE IF GOOD THICKNESS OF SHOE LINING IS STILL PRESENT AND YOU ARE NOT NEAR THE TOP OF ANY RIVET HEADS. THE EMERGENCY BRAKE IS REALLY A PARKING BRAKE AS THERE IS NO REAL WAY ONE DRUM WILL STOP A DEUCE IN A COUNTRY MILE. Have fun Keep a safe distance in traffic, pull over when you create a wagon train, and grin all the way down the road. Mark

drbarnes

Sigo - Thank you, please let me know if it is the right one, save me some time in fabricating one.

Requital - Yes this is the truck from SC

61sleepercab - good information! thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks