• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

got it running (mostly)

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thank you for all the support and info on my need knowledge for the M923A1.
Yesterday after hours of playtime outside. I took switches out, checked
the neutral switch, checked voltage every where. (funny) I asked a guy at a parts house if he had a 24 volt light tester, He asked how many times I needed to use it which I thought was strange, I said I just have one circuit I have not been able to test.
He said just use a 12 volt tester, it will blow the bulb out but you will know you have 24 volts. lol
Anyway primed it till I thought I was going to have to put an ace bandage on. Turned the switches on, (the start switch still does not work in the start position)
but turned them both to on and run had the wife standing by the top of the stack with ether, I jumped it with a screw driver from the starter and she started spraying ether and it fired in about 8 seconds. I jumped in the cab and checked all the guages and all looked good. It does not have an alternator on it yet, waiting for the pulley. So I only ran it for about 5 minutes, but when I turned the power switches off it just kept running. I waited about 30 seconds and it was still at 600 rpm so I pulled the emergency shutoff. So I still have 2 problems, The start switch does not work when I turn it to start, and it won't shut down when I turn it off.
I took both the start and power switch and put a load on them and they both worked fine, so I'm thinking wire somewhere, and something in the fuel pump is keeping fuel running after I shut it down. There is a square box with a wire on it at the top of the pump that goes into the harness somewhere. I need to take it off and put a new connector on it but I would like to find out what it is first. Anyone got any good ideas on what it could be? were almost there! I can't find a good wiring diagram for the M923A1 in any of the TM's so if someone know's where to find one please let me know.
If anyone has any knowledge on the too remaining issues, why the start switch does not work when turned to start and now why it wont shut off when the power switches are shut off, please let me know. All the wires and switches where they connect were cleaned with electrictal solvent and then I put that dioelectric grease for a good connection was put on every wire I took apart. Thanks for all the help guys Good info so far to be able to get it running. I am greatful upfront cause I know you will come up with some good answers on the last 2 problems. I really need a good wiring diagram TM. Thanks Mark Oh and yes I put the emergency shutoff valve on the fuel pump back in the right position. I knew you were thinking that.

SPCWarning

Hey Mark, Congrats on the new life under the hood!! Cool !

Sounds like the switch may still be the culprit, not shutting down the fuel pump maybe there's a relay between the switch and pump??. Still thinking maybe a bad wire on the "start" position.
Glad you got to hear 'er run!!!:grd:

rrrr

Mark,

I did some looking through the TM's, 24-4 page 819 has a schematic of the 939a1, hopefully this will help. There is a circuit breaker in the starting circuit. However, since the fuel shutoff solenoid isn't working it very well might be your protective control box.

Last edited:

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thats funny, what you should be doing Rich is coming over and helping me work on this so you can gain experience so when you guy one, and you will. LOL

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
If you are flying a Cessna 172 you can be here in 20 minutes, of course you would have to land in the street. Learning how to fly might help also. LOL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks