• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got my 395/85R20's today

sermis

Are you going to widen the rims or go custom?
I can tell you that you will loose power with the tires. On the flats it will fly but on the hills you will slow way down.
If you have a flat on the front runnin 55 it will really wake you up.

AZDeuce

Offroadchev

I installed these tires myself, on stock rims. they are a PAIN, but once you figure out how to do it, it isn't THAT bad. So far they are the best thing I've done to the truck. If you install them yourself, I put the rim I am installing the tire on, on top of a spare rim - I covered with an old rug so that I wouldn't screw up my new paint on the rim. You'll need new flaps and innertubes rated for RADIAL tires.

Lay the tire on the ground with a partially inflated tube, and flap inside, carefully install the rim from the backside. Once inserted pick the whole thing up and flip over onto the spare rug covered rim, holding the rim and tire together while doing this (told you it was a pain). once centered on top of the spare rim, put a 4 pieces of 4x4" wood at each 90 degrees, to keep the whole tire rim from sliding off the spare rim.

Put on the safetry (split) rim and start STOMPING it down - wear heavy duty boots! It's also good if you have some one walk around the tire with you, so you can use their shoulder to keep your balance. Do this x7 and you're good to go :)

The first tire took me about 2 1/2 hours, after that I could put one together in about 15-20 minutes.

My truck can now travel 65-68 MPH down the road at 2400-2500 RPMS. I haven't checked mileage yet. I live in the flatlands of AZ, these tires might hinder you on mountain roads, but for me this was the best update yet, plus, the truck is EASIER to steer! (no power steering). I think you will enjoy these.

I put mine on stock rims, I would like 10-11" wide rims. but I want rims with a dismountable rim, either split/safety, or bolt ons, so I can fix them in the field, but I'm not a welder, nor rich, so I'm probably stuck with the stock rims for a while. They work fine despite the nay-sayers.

Hope some of this was helpful.

TenTires

I was thinking of getting those same tires (after seeing them on donkdonk's truck last week). Where did you get them and how much? They will look great btw.:-D

YankeeDuece

Offroad, I am a step ahead of you! I got my 395's last week from Jim Henry and I already have the wheels and accessories. The only thing I am short of is time to assemble the pieces.

Hope to see pic's of your completed truck sooner then later.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks