• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got My Babies Home in Good Shape

storeman

Last week I picked up a M101A3 at Ft. Meade and the next day added a MEP002a to it at Newcastle, DE. Towed them home in Thursday's snow/ice storm without incident. Custom hitch mount worked great! Even with the 37" HMMWV wheels it ran almost level behind my 1/2 ton Chevy crew cab.

Changeover to 12 volt went smoothly except the Northern Tool "Hopkins 7 pole RV CABLE, ITEM # 620146-2101, does nor match up to the wire colors I've seen on this great site. Maybe it is the GM wiring pattern but if you want to use Northern's cable it is red wire to 22-461, green wire to #21, brown to 22-460 and white to ground. I used spade connectors so i could use the same cable to do the next pickup.

Monday I drove to Ft Jackson, SC (440 miles) and spent the night on base. Picked up my MEP003a on a M116A2 on Tues and drove home without incident. Both trailers pulled beautifully at up to 80 MPH.

Now I have 2 Mil trailer pigtails available. (The plug to the prime mover and the cable to the trailer junction.) The one off the 101A3 is in like new condition. The one off the 116A2 is in good condition with a little dry rot at the junction box.

Because I bought 2 chevy rims and mounted used tires on them (just in case), I also have 2 HMMWV wheels with Goodyear Wrangler MT 37x12.50xR16.5 M+S DOT-stamped tires mounted. Tires are in good shape with about 5/8" of tread. I don't know original tread depth, but wear looks minimal. I'm in Tidewater, VA east of Richmond. Anyone interested, PM me.

Both gensets will require a bit of work to get them running and the mep003A needs an hour meter. Don't know what else. They were cheap compared to what I've seen last few months and were as shown on GL Work on the gensets will have to wait till spring as we leave for FL on Jan 3 and they will likely spend the winter on the trailers. I'll also have a M116a2 available once the generator is removed. I'll put all this in classified once tires are changed and trailer is freed up.

Thanks for all the help and advice and the vast library of knowledge available on this site. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everybody!

Jerry:-D:-D:-D

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks