• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got my first CUCV pickup! a few questions

DeuceNewb

Finally landed myself a pickup! 32K miles, beautiful interior, and pretty good paint. I'm so excited can't wait to get it! I do have a few questions. I've driven my friends blazer, but the pickup is slower right? Can I cruise back home at 55?
Also, i need to get some new tires, i'm thinking 33's or 35's so that highway will be a little better cruising speed as well as better off road manners.
What size are the rims? Are they 16's or 16.5?

SPECIALTYLC

I drive mine at 60 mph with no trouble.Stock Tires are 235 85 R16. Stock height is 32 inches. 35 inchers will likely rub on front fender.

Last edited:

pigfoot63

Congradulation's , you can probally cruise at 55. I running 37.5 and mine is wound tight around 70. Think about a lift kit or fender triming if you want to run 35's

91W350

They can pull a fairly heavy load, the problem is stopping the load. They just do not weigh enough and have enough contact surface. It is pretty easy to push the rear axle around with a heavy trailer.

I have towed some loads that were way over the truck's ratings. It get the heavy loads moving fairly easy, thanks to the torque converter and low gearing. You can really punish a 6.2 by trying to pull a heavy load 60.

I towed a 42,000 pound wheat truck to the elevator with mine, thankfully, he had brake too. We never got over 40 though, partially because of the sloppy steering on the wheat truck without power assist.

I also stopped and towed a loaded cattle semi from an exit ramp into the Freightliner dealer's lot, so he could get his truck fixed. He gave me 100 dollars, I tried and tried to do it for free, but he was having no part of it. I took the 100 bucks and gave it to the local food bank. I think he said his gross weight was close to 80,000 but I towed that one in low side of the transfer case with the front hubs unlocked.....about 10 miles per hour.

DeuceNewb

I plan on getting a brake controller. I've got a car trailer i use with my deuce, but it's got electric brakes and i could wire them to work with the cucv. I've also got a 23ft boat as well as a tow dolly i use for some cars

91W350

You can pull that kind of thing eay enough. 50 in my opinion is a great towing speed for the 4.56 gear ratio. Beyond that with a load is pushing the 6.2 pretty hard. I drive mine 50-55 empty, occasionaally 60. We ran it 65 for 400 miles and it was dripping oil on the ground when we got there. I suspect blow by from the extended high rpm run, as it has not leaked any since. Also the oil leaking was black and I had just changed the oil, on the stick it was still clear. Glen

gaunt1969

I dont know what they do as a top speed, but when I picked mine up I had the speedo pegged stright down for 220 miles with no stop; just wanted to know what it was made of. btw it helps if the ipod is up all the way:driver:

SPECIALTYLC

You can pull that kind of thing eay enough. 50 in my opinion is a great towing speed for the 4.56 gear ratio. Beyond that with a load is pushing the 6.2 pretty hard. I drive mine 50-55 empty, occasionaally 60. We ran it 65 for 400 miles and it was dripping oil on the ground when we got there. I suspect blow by from the extended high rpm run, as it has not leaked any since. Also the oil leaking was black and I had just changed the oil, on the stick it was still clear. Glen
I have never seen a diesel with clear oil after running the engine. Dip stick is always black.

91W350

My 2003 Cummins used to stay pretty clear, relatively speaking. Not like a gas engine, but not like a dipstick stuck in black paint either. Four gallons of oil every 3,000 miles... The oil on my M1008 turns black, but the first 1000 miles or so it still looks dark brown, clear enough to see the dipstick. The oil that was dripping on the ground was tar black, could have passed for old Caterpillar oil. By clear, I meant semi transparent, not clear like fresh from the jug. Rotella does not come out of the jug clear, if you are talking clear like water. Clear as mud? :?:

I ran this current M1008 up close to 85, I felt like it was way past time for the governor to shut it down, so I did. To stand the needle straight up and down must have flat been screaming, unless the speedometer is one of those GM speedometers that just take off crazy and does the bouncing number. I have seen a few of those, they just take off and will read 20-30 mph over my gps.

mtjbrown

So y'all are saying you can tow say, my SSII rockcrawler on a trailer as long as I keep it around 55-60 mph?? Trailer and truck probably weigh around 6k together.

91W350

You may not have enough brakes just on the truck to be legal in some states, but I would not have a problem doing that myself. I pulled my M715 with my old one a few times. It was my version of a rock crawler.... I ran 50ish with relative ease.

Glen

mtjbrown

You may not have enough brakes just on the truck to be legal in some states, but I would not have a problem doing that myself. I pulled my M715 with my old one a few times. It was my version of a rock crawler.... I ran 50ish with relative ease.

Glen
Thanks, Glen. I have electric brakes on the trailer so I think I will be ok.:-D

mtjbrown

I weighed my 1008 when I dropped off some garbage at the incinerator, it was 6300 with some tools in the back, i'm betting right at 6000 if driving unprepared.:-D

You do realize I am talking about the weight of my trailer load, right?/:-D I know the M1031 weighs at least that by itself.

kenny

Are you running a stock torque converter or did you put a higher stall in it. I have been thinking about getting a higher stall torque converter for my 1008 so that it has more power off the line pulling heavy loads.
I have a bone stock M1008 with 30,000 miles now that would not spin the rear tires tring to pull a stump out of the ground untill I put it in 4low.

I was thinking about a 1500 stall B/M torque converter

They can pull a fairly heavy load, the problem is stopping the load. They just do not weigh enough and have enough contact surface. It is pretty easy to push the rear axle around with a heavy trailer.

I have towed some loads that were way over the truck's ratings. It get the heavy loads moving fairly easy, thanks to the torque converter and low gearing. You can really punish a 6.2 by trying to pull a heavy load 60.

I towed a 42,000 pound wheat truck to the elevator with mine, thankfully, he had brake too. We never got over 40 though, partially because of the sloppy steering on the wheat truck without power assist.

I also stopped and towed a loaded cattle semi from an exit ramp into the Freightliner dealer's lot, so he could get his truck fixed. He gave me 100 dollars, I tried and tried to do it for free, but he was having no part of it. I took the 100 bucks and gave it to the local food bank. I think he said his gross weight was close to 80,000 but I towed that one in low side of the transfer case with the front hubs unlocked.....about 10 miles per hour.

91W350

That sounds about normal, gear ratio is a wonderful thing. Nothing wrong with using low side to pull in the soft stuff where the trailer is harder to move. Shifting to low is a lot easier and cheaper than changing the torque converter. I think maximum effeciency on the 6.2 is around that 1900 to 2200 rpm range. Mine does have the stock converter. When I was pulling bushes, I could spin in reverse pulling off the front bumper, but not in drive pulling off the rear bumper. You can get pretty good bite when you ease into a short chain attached to the high bumper. Glen