• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got my pyro installed. Temps worry me.

Eafarms

So if you saw my other thread about excessive smoking. We got it fixed with a replacement turbo. Side not. Gimpyrobb is AWESOME!

anywho. Couple days later. I finished installing the gauges and wiring and went for a drive. I hit no hills only flats. And in 4-5th gear. If I stay on the throttle. Not even to the floor. Temps climb to 12-1300 pretty quick. And only drop when I let off the throttle almost completely. Then they drop back to 8-900. I also tested this w 5 tonnes in the bed and it still drove great. Temps just got there faster and took longer to come back down. Just idling it doesn't even make 300 degrees. With the turbo likely not working for some time. I don't want to blow this engine going out and getting it too hot. GR said rolling down the road sitting on 1200 is fine. My neighbor who's into diesels. But not these multis. Said that's too close to melt down temp.

I'm a slight bit worried to take in on some of the long hills around here.

Whats yalls opinions. ?? Thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Turn down your fuel.

Depending on how you want to use your truck, you either need to maker it safe all the time or get it set close and use driver input to control exhaust temps.

I would turn it down till you only make about 8-10 lbs boost. Then, it still may overtemp on a hard pull but with gauges you can monitor and adjust as necessary.

Eafarms

it sits on the wastegate just under 15psi under hard excel. generally under 10 just cruising.

I can control the temps somewhat but have yet to hit a hill and see what a load on it does.

Jericho

I would agree with dog head, assuming every thing else is ok engine wise I dare say someone has turned the wick up on that truck , use the post here or find a competent individual to turn it down, There is a point where you gain no real performance ,BUT, decrease engine life by keeping the EGT high. I try to keep mine under 1000 have a warning light at 900. Throttle actuator does the trick as well . In the end when I follow a friend who has a "turned up truck" I can tell where he is by the smoke and he rarely beats me anywhere by cool down time. "slow and steady turtle beats the hare" I simply avoid drinking lots of soda and he has to stop frequently along the highway. Ahh the wisdom of age ! I expect to depart earth before my engine does, He is already sourcing a replacement .

red

Quick adjustment on the fuel to turn it down some or just keep an eye on it and adjust your right foot accordingly. 1200F is max when working hard (loaded, hills,...) For normal driving you want to be lower than that.