• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got some 11.00 x 20s

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After Phil put his monster tires on his 5 ton, I asked him what he was going to do with the 10 leftover 11.00 x 20s. "Give them to you, I guess" was the reply. And they are now loaded in the bed of my deuce, awaiting installation. Cheapest price I have found so far is 300 dollars to dismount all 20 tires and install the 10 taller ones on my truck.

Phil sent me a pic of one up against the 395s on his bobber and they look almost as tall. I'm not looking for speed, just lower RPMS.

If any SOCAL guys are really good with tires or know a shop that works cheap, LMK. I'm hoping to have them on before Dirtbag.

Big thanks to my convoy partner Phil!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
$300, buy the tools and do it yourself. Look at Gemplers. PITA but worth it in the end.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now one day I need to find my way to pctrans place and pick over his 1100x20 stash. Thanks for reminding me. As Jim said, buy the tools, do one tire every two days or so so you don't get burned out.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
$300 is well worth the 3 days of very hard labor and possible chance of killing yourself when a split ring comes off and goes flying.

Agreed. I'm a highly trained heavy equipment mechanic (as per the Navy, not me) and I have done plenty of tires in my 25+ years. I don't have the tools and my back ain't what it used to be. The 5 ton tire/rims are already loaded in the back and I'm going to drive it in and pick it up when done.

jollyroger

I have done my fair share of these over a 30 gallon drum. After a while I got smart and asked a couple good friends for help. Then dad and I stumbled upon a tire machine for $350. What a deal. It's a rim clamp style. I have even been doing my 395's with it. The bead breaker won't pop the bead off the first stroke but I keep rotating the tire and it will get it done. We have been looking for 10 years and finally got this piece of equipment. Right place right time.

Capt.Marion

11:00s are very nice. I love mine. Running them singled is very nice, too. Pump the fronts up to 55 and it's like power steering.

Reactions: DUG

DUECE-COUPE

i used a couple of tire tools a bead hammer and PLENTY of WD-40. broke down 5 a2 wheels and took the 11.00x20s off the 5 ton rimsand remounted in a couple of hours. if you do a do em in pairs, i1 deuce and 1 % ton, you will see progress and it will keep you going to the end.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dinosaur Tire in Calimesa gets $30 per dismount/mount (split rims), so $300 for the ten as well. Seems like the going rate in So Cal. On the other hand, the truck repair shop just off of Cherry Valley Blvd. at the I-10 wanted to charge me $80 just to dismount ONE 9.00-16....:cookoo:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dinosaur Tire in Calimesa gets $30 per dismount/mount (split rims), so $300 for the ten as well. Seems like the going rate in So Cal. On the other hand, the truck repair shop just off of Cherry Valley Blvd. at the I-10 wanted to charge me $80 just to dismount ONE 9.00-16....:cookoo:
I need 20 dismounted and 10 mounted.

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So that would be $15 x 20 ($300) + $15 x 10 ($150) for a total of $450. If you got a quote for this work at $300, seems good.

I have looked at getting a set of tire tools (a "duck-billed" sledge hammer and two "spoon" prybars) and it was gonna be expensive. I think it was gonna cost me over $250 for the tools alone.

If you have the work done, please tell us about the shop.

wikallen

Its not bad to do yourself with a tire hammer and a couple of bottles of dish soap.

I dismounted 22 and remounted 11 on a couple of the hottest days this summer.

jarhead1086

I had my local Les Schwab powder coat and few of my ugly rims and rings for ~$60/rim if I recall. They didn't charge me to dismount, just to remount and it was cheap. I took one or two at a time and always got the same deal. The flat black powder coat looks nice and dosen't hold dirt like a 1/4" thick of lumpy, chipped paint does. I couldn't look at my gorgeous Oeverson hubs next to an ugly rim.

tm america

You can get the tools to do them yourself for around 200. and do them in a day pretty easy.These rims on a deuce are a locking ring not a split rim.. BIG difference . Split rims are also called suicide rims noone around here will touch 'em..LOcking ring rims are safe and easy to work with .I dismounted 7 and mounted 7 15.5s in around 6 hours.once you do the first couple they go pretty fast from there..dish washing liquid is your friend[thumbzup]

Hammer

You can get the tools to do them yourself for around 200. and do them in a day pretty easy.These rims on a deuce are a locking ring not a split rim.. BIG difference . Split rims are also called suicide rims noone around here will touch 'em..LOcking ring rims are safe and easy to work with .I dismounted 7 and mounted 7 15.5s in around 6 hours.once you do the first couple they go pretty fast from there..dish washing liquid is your friend[thumbzup]
Ya know, I couldn't agree more with most of what you said!
Only part could be the 'easy' part. Never know the condition of the existing tires.

I like to let the tires soak the lube in.
I buy WD-40 in the gallon can (use it for machining purposes mainly.)
Pour some around the bead and let it SOAK in (for the ones that look tough.)
The rest is pretty darn easy.

Granted, using a full length duck bill the first time will require some practice. But after a tire or two, you should have it down pat.
I can break down the tires and pull the lock ring in very short time. Takes longer to let the air out of the tube.
I still need to buy the correct lock ring tool. I have been using one I made a couple years ago. Works quite well, but not as good as the one designed for it.

jollyroger

Pre lube with something, soap and water, WD-40 and let it soak in. That way it is easier to wire brush the lock rings and grove in the rim. I always clean that up as it get's stuff built up in the groove and the ring may not want to re seat.

The proper tools make the job easier but you can use a couple Harbor Freight tire bars/spoons, some tire prybars (ones with the j hook on one end and the spike on the other and a big construction wrecking bar and a sledge and soft blow hammer. If you this route get a 30 gallon drum to set the tire/wheel on for work. It gets the whole mess off the ground and at a working height. And get some friends. It makes the job go faster.

roady

I would like to see some of the pictures of the guys running the 11.00 X 20's singled. I got 8 of them and would like to run them singled so I dont have to find two more.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks