• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

got the bejesus scared out of me today

beanman1

Well today I was servicing the m1009 (changing all fluids, greasing up the ball joints repacking bearings,changing filters, etc...) and while i was addind the oil to the engine i heard a sizzle and then a real big BOOOOOOOOOOM

Plastic pieces are flying everywhere, hit me in the face,chest,arms,amd beat the underside of the hood up. After the debris has settled i looked over tp find the top of the battery closest to the fire wall has lost its topp( it exploded). All I could think was Holy @#$& and how the @#$& did that happen but I am ok.

So iI had to spend the money today and get some new batteries i bought 2 napa commericail batteries with the screw tops which I must say fit the battery trays real good.

After further inspection of the exploded battery(could of happened during the boom) I found a smalll crack next to the positve terminal. i did have the opertunity to get pics of it (the last thing on my mind) srry guys but i was more concentrated on getting the acid cleaned up and getting the truck fixed and I took the battery into napa for a core charge lol

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Glad to hear you are ok, I have had something similar happen. It really makes you glad you are ok. Mind posting the battery #?

armytruck63

Man, you are lucky you didn't get any of that acid in your eyes! Glad you're OK. Do you have any idea what caused the battery blow?

I once heard a battery explode about a quarter of a mile away at a neighboring ranch in Nevada.

steved454

Yes you are lucky, I have responded to two different calls where the battery exploded and neither time did work out good for the person working under the hood!. Glad you are ok!!

1stSarge

Was charging a battery by the garage door of the shop, then went to lunch. Came back an hour later and the entire top was gone. We looked all over. It simply was not there. We probably searched a 50 square yard area, inside the shop and out in the drive. Nothing. To this day, we still have no idea what happened to the top.

2deuce

All it takes is a spark and the battery itself can supply that if there is a short inside. Batterys can blow up while charging very easily and no fault of the battery either, just a spark connecting or disconnecting the charger. Batterys produce hydrogen gas while charging. Glad your OK. The battery is the most dangerous part of our vehicle at least, in my opinion it is.

rlwm211

The battery was off gassing Hydrogen and all that is needed was a spark, a bit of static, to ignite. I am glad you are well. I would rinse the entire underhood area very thoroughly to remove all traces of acid as it will work on the paint and metal with very negative results.

That the battery was venting hydrogen is an indication that it was dying or dead to begin with. Probably a specific gravity check would have indicated this problem. Then again, your alternator may be over charging and I would take the time to check the voltage at both batteries when running to eliminate that possibility.

Another situation where a battery is likely to explode is in the winter and a battery is completely dead. Sometimes the electrolyte will freeze and when you jump the battery instead of melting it sublimates and produces hydrogen gas and Boom, the top blows off. This is a common danger that is present when you jump a vehicle and also is why the standard procedure to jump a dead battery is to hook up the dead battery first and then hook up the charging source, or turn it on. Avoid being near a battery when you are charging it as this is when the greatest danger exists.

Sermon over...
RL

Last edited:

Stalwart

I had one blow up in my face once, I asked a guy to hold some jumper cables. While my back was turned he connected them and when I made the last contact, the battery exploded in my face from 2' above. 5 minutes of face drenching in cool water and I was fine. When my clothes came out of the wash, there was no front to my clothes, totally gone.

rlwm211

I remember Chemistry class and creating hydrogen gas in a lab session.

The stuff is quite volatile and more dangerous than any other gaseous materials we may encounter.

Glad you are well, and I hope everyone is extra careful around batteries.

RL

Rich Johnson

So I guess I will add my two cents here.
Several years ago my F-150 went click when I started it. I opened the hood and found a bulge in my battery. I got jumped and went right to sears for a warrenty exchange. They said they had to test it first. I showed them the bulge but they still tested it. I was standing a few feet away from the blast when it blew all over the technician and my motor. They spent therest of the day cleaning my engine and installing a new battery. Glad he was wearing safety glases.

I think we all should be aware of this. It seems you may never know if a battery is venting fumes and may blow on you.

Wrench Wench

I'd have laid down a condition on that test, Rich, that the battery be removed from the truck, faaaaar from the truck, and from me to. If they insist on testing without protective gear, that's their problem. :cookoo: They have no right to risk you or your property with a manifest danger.

Last edited:

zout

Ditto on being lucky - I would not want to ever see anyone inflicted with acid and plactic from these explosions. Have seen guys smoking and leaning over their batteries and FOOM - engulfed in debris.

Glad you have all your pieces and parts - did you go right out an purchase a lotto ticket ???? You should have.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks