• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GP Relay 12 volt conversion new mod idea...

linx310

After reading lots of threads on the subject, one of the draw backs to feeding the GP relay 12 volts directly and skipping over the resistor is that you can no longer slave your CUCV.

What if a manual switch is installed after the resistor but before the relay.

At one position the voltage supplied from the resistor is routed directly to the GP relay.

At the other position no voltage is supplied from the resistor but instead from a straight 12 volt source.

This way if you ever need to slave your CUCV you can pop the hood and switch it over.

The switch would have to be heavy duty of course to handle the load.

Any one ever seen this done before?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
a 100 amp rated switch will be expensive. Adding it to the system will be a bunch of work. The switch will just add one more thing that can fail.

Why not just make a new 6" supply wire, and tape Ive the end of the original 24v wire with tape.

If you really needed to, you can change the wire connection in about 1 minute.

Unless your front battery is completely dead and wont take a charge(open circuited), you will most likely be able to slave start your CUCV with your GP relay resupplied with 12v. You just need to wait a few minutes before cranking, to let the front battery get charged some(as opposed to starting solely off the 24v source of the jumping vehicle).

You can slave start other vehicles with your CUCV with either voltage supplied to the GP relay(it has no effect).

Last edited:

markg

After reading lots of threads on the subject, one of the draw backs to feeding the GP relay 12 volts directly and skipping over the resistor is that you can no longer slave your CUCV.
i have a set of slave cables and i own more than one 24v truck and still have only used my cables 2 or 3 times in 10 yrs. its a lot easier to run 2 sets of cables than to drag those heavy cables out.2cents