• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

grease mess in the front end

bugei

suddenly after using my duece in a parade (university of nevada reno homecoming, pictures this week, happy princesses:), i have a bunch of grease (just kind of oozing out around the edges) on the inside of the steering knuckle and a beautiful spin art on the inside of the wheel on the drivers side. i looked over the tm, and could not see where there was a grease seal, i found oil seals "way in", but this looked like grease. PLEASE point me to a page or previous so i know what to fix and even more, what to "order" before "going in".

thanx
dan

acetomatoco

What is in order is to check the oil in the front end and see if it is overfull, secondly check the axle vent to be sure it is not blocked... There is a inner oil seal for each axle ...way in...to keep the oil in the pumpkin...aka double reduction gear unit.... There is a grease seal to keep the wheel bearing grease clean free of water etc...Unfortunately if the inner seal fails, oil gets into your housing and dilutes the grease and you get the famous ooze and pretty pattern on your tire... Not to worry if it does not get on the brakes you are golden...make sure your oil is a finger knuckle below the fill hole on your diff..and that it 90 wgt GL1 and not some other super duper stuff put in long ago and far away...I would not change any mechanical parts in there until I had diagnosed the problem well and weighed the cost of repair against the occasional adding of a pint of GL1 once a year or so....

houdel

Did you check for a leak in your knuckle boot? If its grease, not oil, the only place it can come from is the knuckle and if its on the inside the only way it can get there is through or around the boot.

FreightTrain

Banned
That would either be a failed inner and outter oil seal and/or blown wheel Cylinder.The oil is thinning out the grease and causing it to sling out or the brake fluid is flinging off the drum.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks