• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Grill Guards

Apologies if this is already a thread,

I am wondering about some rugged looking grill guard options out there for these older Chevy CUCV's, do any of you have one? Could you post pictures, and possibly a short story of how you came by it? I know they already come equipped with one, but is it really all that tough?

Thank you,
Jayme

welpro222

The cucv brush guard is about as good as it gets as far as brush guards go. With the cucv as with any older chevy truck you may have to fabricate or buy a used one. Depends on what you want it for? I'll post some pictures of mine later tonight and show what I have done to my other trucks.

Really, I am honestly looking for the most bad as* looking grill/brush guard there is kind of like the RanchHand looking ones. Probably have to get it fabricated like you said Welpro, but If there are more mainstream options that what I'd like to hear about. I live in South Dakota and deer are on the road about as often as dingle-berries from a hairy butt crack - so It has to be strong enough to sluff off a white-tail deer too
Thanks,
Jayme

welpro222

Here is a small truck guard that I had modified to fit my suburban. I just had the side grills extended out passed the headlights and had them welded to my tow hooks on my frame.

20150312_121159_resized.jpg

I also have another guard on my k20 that was from a 2000's chevy truck. I just had to have a mount made so I could bolt it to the frame.

If you can cut, bend, and weld some metal. You can make most brush guards work. The best part is I'm only in these guards about $100 each including the modifications.

welpro222

so It has to be strong enough to sluff off a white-tail deer too
This can be done, but you will want a very heavy duty bumper. Brush guards are good to a point, if I hit a deer on the side of the guard it would most likely smash it into the headlight area. I had a huge 150-200 lb bull bumper that I was gonna put on it, but the weight would have been too much including my winch. Just surf Craigslist and find one you want and modify it to fit. Having one completely custom made would be very expensive, unless you have the funds its not worth it.

reaper556

The cucv brush guard is about as good as it gets as far as brush guards go. With the cucv as with any older chevy truck you may have to fabricate or buy a used one. Depends on what you want it for? I'll post some pictures of mine later tonight and show what I have done to my other trucks.
Where did the cucv brush guards originate from? Did the trucks ship from GM with them or were they added latter by the Army?

welpro222

I would assume that were for the CUCV only, because they are the only trucks that seem to have them. Because they use standard bumper bolts, I would assume GM did install them. It was most likely part of the contract along with the air lift brackets.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The guards came from the factory.

Do a search for Chevy Vintage Advertising in the Google search bar for some cool factory pics.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks