• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ground pressure ?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know of a TM or something that tells the actual pounds per square inch displaced (of a deuce) at a given tire pressure. Is there a recommended tire pressure for driving on sand? I am interested in travelling over sand and would like to see the numbers or whatever the Military thinks these trucks should be able to . Anyone with deuce experience on sand please post up! I may need to haul some building materials some distance down a sandy beach. I do not want to add front duels or anything like that ,any extra preparation besides airing down the tires is more than I want to do. TIA

JDToumanian

Around here, everything is sand! I lower my tires to 25psi and they seem to do good except on the worst of washboard roads. Lower pressure may be even better but I don't want to risk damaging a tire or rim... I don't know the lowest safe pressure. I bought a set of "Staun Automatic Tyre Deflators" so I can lower them quickly, and my remote valve with pressure gauge airs 'em up fast with me safely hidden.

Sprag - NO GOOD on sand! You need an air shift transfer case or you will really beat up your truck and may still get stuck anyway. With a sprag, in really soft sand the rear wheels will hop around violently while the front gets bogged down. When I switched to an air shift, the difference was dramatic... I no longer worry about getting stuck.

But I HAVE gotten stuck! See pics below... I was crossing this little earth fill bridge, driving right down the middle of the road when the whole right side sloughed away into the ditch bringing my deuce with it. It was somewhat sobering to be pulled out by my friends in a Toyota and an old Bronco II using tow straps! Be sure your pioneer kit is present... I definitely use mine!

Here's an old YouTube clip a friend of mine shot of my deuce...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbEdK62SLp8

Regards,
Jon

Attachments

acetomatoco

In your manuals there will be a tire pressure chart with type of terrain and recommended pressures...honest.!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now here's some food for thought. If I were going to haul some materials on the sand and I could get away with it, I would load my truck a little back heavy. Not good or safe for going down the road but for the sand might help. The deuce front sinks like a rock in the sand with all that weight on the skinny front tires.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
acetomatoco said:
In your manuals there will be a tire pressure chart with type of terrain and recommended pressures...honest.!!
Yes, it (TM-10) shows 15 psi for the tires on sand. It also has a section titled sandy and dust operation. I really don't see anything about "tricks" or techniques to use. I thought maybe the Tm would get a little more specific about loading and driving on sand. So, I figured I'd tap into the Mega-Experience of SS guys before I go get buried up to my pumpkins in wet sand and take pictures of the carnage for all you guys to see! Let me set the scene here, Lake Ontario on one side and 60' sand dune on the other, for about 1.5 miles. Need to move enough material to build a 2 story 28x36 building in one day, possibly a new prefabbed building disassembled.
Kenny, I was going to use the winch truck but maybe I should use the other truck to keep the front end light and load the bed long and to the rear.
JD, I do have the air shift transfer-case! Thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks