• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Grounding trailer mounted 802a

GuiltyGear

So I recently have gotten my hands on a trailer mounted 802a generator and had a question regarding proper grounding. I believe from my research the TM states that it can just be grounded from the trailer ground located near the panel for the studs.

Should I be driving a rod in and grounding from the trailer or directly wiring the ground wire to the ground lug on the genset. Or shou I be running the wire from the ground lug to the trailer ground them to the rod?

Thank you ahead of time!!

Guyfang

Staff member
The ground stud on the trailer is there for this reason. Grounding. You should also run a ground wire from the trailer ground stud to the generator ground. Lots of folks will tell you it's not needed. The mounting bolts between the gen set and trailer is good enough. Well, that's theory. Practice is that on the average, 2-3 soldiers get shocked to death a year. Improper grounding. One such incident was because of the mounting bolts being loose, diesel and dirt were in between the set and the trailer. So, not good bonding between them. No ground wire between the set and trailer ground stud. Soldier died. Stupid.

We always ran a ground wire from the set ground, out the left side, through the canvas sock, down, and around the trailer frame. Then we pulled it across the trailer, to be attached to the underside of the trailer ground stud. The ground stud shank is long enough so you can attach a ring connector to the wire, and simply hook it up on the shank, with a serrated washer, flat washer and two nuts. If the wire hangs down, simply use a few wire ties to correct that problem.

I forgot to add that if you over tighten the nuts, the shank will break off. It's not made of steel, but an alloy. Copper/bronze?? In any case, soft.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks