• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GVWR for a bobbed deuce...

bjc

hey folks,

i did a search and couldn't find any info on what the GVWR becomes after a deuce is bobbed.

anyone know?

looking into the local laws where i live and trying to see what i can and can't do.

thanks.

bj

Snarky

GVWR is Curb weight + carrying capacity. You take it to a scale and have it weighed, the carrying capacity is probably 1.5 tons offroad since they generally use an M-105 bed and M-105 or M35 Front Springs.

bjc

GVWR is Curb weight + carrying capacity. You take it to a scale and have it weighed, the carrying capacity is probably 1.5 tons offroad since they generally use an M-105 bed and M-105 or M35 Front Springs.
if the M-105 springs are used, then i guess you can get an accurate load rating...but if the front M35 springs are used, is there somewhere that states what their capacity is? also, who "verifies" this when buying/making a bobbed deuce? just wondering before i really start looking for one.

True... If the original gvwr is stamped on the truck shouldn't the dot, police, etc go by that???
can you just remove the tag since it no longer applies?

i guess that even though i have the accurate information, it will be up the the "lovely and knowledgeable" folks at the great DMV.....:roll:

bj

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When GVW is fixed by the builder, it is based on allowable weight per tire/wheel combo, suspension specifications and axle specifications (including brakes). There is no argument that a duel axle truck will be assigned a higher GVW than the identical truck with one rear axle removed. The problem is that government agencies will not allow anyone (that I am aware of) to assign a new GVW. They are more likely to say that no one is allowed to make these kind of mods after the vehicle is approved, built and sold. I have researched getting a higher GVW for a truck after axle and suspension mods. I have also tried to get GVW down-rated to avoid weight taxes and CDL rules. Both these were in WA state and both times I was shot down. I was told that the WSP would invoke the rules based on the delivered truck data plate, no exceptions, no re-inspections, no new data plates, no engineers GVW evaluations, no...no...no. Chances are that as long as you do not crash your rig (or run into a really knowledgable and energetic truck cop) you won't have any problem running with the standard GVW data plate. Others have asked about getting GVW derated on 5 tons, to avoid weight taxes and CDL rules. Until the states are willing to re-rate, based on axle/suspension changes, I think they are out of luck. Find out what your individual axle ratings are, add them together, then look at your total loaded weight. If that is at or below the max axle weight, go to a scale and weight each axle, be sure you do not exceed that allowable weight. I would not exceed that total allowable axle weight, for three reasons. One, it is a safe weight for your wheels, tires and brakes. Two, if a truck cop does question the allowable GVW of your modified vehicle, you can show them that you are attempting to be legal and safe. Three, in this litigious society, if you should have an accident (even the other dudes fault), you can show a court that you did not exceed the manufactures allowable specs. Hope that this helps someone!

JasonS

Here in SD, I set the GVWR to whatever I want.... Of course, I cannot exceed axle/ wheel maximum weight, etc.

bjc

thanks for the info. i guess the next step is to go the DMV and ask.

here in hawaii, anything under GVWR 15k lbs is exempt from a CDL. anything 15,001-26000 lbs GVWR requires a Class 4 license...which isn't a CDL, but is above a regular license....just more requirements....physicals, tests, driving test...basically a CDL without the "title' i suppose.

this is not even going through the process of getting the truck legal for road use...

we'll see what info i get.

thanks.

bj

Reaper651

I choose the weight to license it at and pay accordingly (more $$ for more weight).
California is this way too. Basically, you fill out a declaration of gross weight form and take it to DMV. I'm thinking of grossing my bobber at 14000Lbs. I can haul 1.5 tons and be easily legal, which is fine by me. Will be a little more than my 1ton pickup and only up one weight class for registration. I could always increase it if I want. Also, 14000lb GVWR is the max you can go and be Exempt from CARB. My big thing is, wait till AFTER you bobb it to register it. It makes it easier with insurance and is a lot easier than trying to re register it from historical to commercial if that's what you want to do.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks