• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hand Operated Throttle on m1008?

cjkeeliii

I would like to add a hand operated throttle to my m1008. Has anyone done this? Would it be better to attach it to the accelerator pedal remote control or the belcrank on the injector pump? Thanks for a great site.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why would you need this? What are you trying to accomplish?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't laugh but on my 88 Crew Cab w/4sp I had a bicycle cable shift lever attached to the shifter. I got so used to using it, I would more often than not, use it instead of the gas pedal. It also had a thumbscrew you could tighten to lock the throttle above idle.

84cucv1ton

Don't laugh but on my 88 Crew Cab w/4sp I had a bicycle cable shift lever attached to the shifter. I got so used to using it, I would more often than not, use it instead of the gas pedal. It also had a thumbscrew you could tighten to lock the throttle above idle.

i have seen that too, helps a bit off road too

hobie237

i have seen that too, helps a bit off road too

Helps a lot off-road for people like me who have left feet accustomed to only mindlessly stomping a clutch on and off, and have difficulty modulating the pressure on the brake pedal with our left feet.

That said, it's as simple as re-routing the cable to the location of your choosing and fabricating some manner of bracketry/lever assembly. You may need a longer cable, you may not. You may elect to run a secondary cable so you can go both with the pedal and with the lever, or you can just re-route the original cable.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen a throttle control on some M1028's that had serious comm. gear in the back at some point. These were all on the 1987 models with the 200-amp charging system. BKubu had one, so he might remember better (or, he might have a pic of it), but I think it was mounted in the dash and attached to the throttle rod that comes off the top of the pedal. Pretty neat set-up.

nk14zp

I put one on my dodge. the type that you turn to adj has button in the middle to relese. Mounted it to the dash used a piece of pvc pipe cut at an angle then real small chain to pedal. Where ever you put it think about if you may need that space in a crash.In my avitar you can see that the cb should have been put some where else. i will get a pic of my ht for ya.

acmunro

I have one on my old 6.2 plow truck. It was a GM option that was on a Pennsylvania Dept of Trans truck my father was parting out. The holes are already in the bottom of the dash to mount it. Sounds like what CUCVFAN was talking about. It attaches to the accelerator petal. I can get some pics if you would like.

cjkeeliii

Thanks. I would appreciate some pictures. My intentions for a hand throttle were several. First, it would help in diagnosing engine problems that require the engine to run at a certain RPM to duplictae road conditions. Second, it would allow me to bypass the fast idle solenoid so that a remote starter could be added. Third, and yes, I know this is dangerous, it would be a cruise control of sorts--kind of like on a 2/12 ton. Last, it's just cool to have another control to play with. Please send any pics or ideas. I once had a '47 Willys that had a hand throttle and it was pretty neat, but I'm not creative enough to rig one up without some ideas from you guys.

Crash_AF

Any commercial truck accessory shop that installs PTO driven devices (like dump trucks and wreckers) should have the proper bracketry and control components to add a hand throttle to your truck.

Later,
Joe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks