• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hand turn Sheppard steering gear?

tgejesse

Hi all,

After 2 years of owning and staring at my truck I finally got the help I needed to change my Sheppard steering gear in my 1165.

I read a thread in here not too long ago about the nightmare that was this gear. This thing is a monster. I don’t wish a bad gear on anyone đŸ˜‚

I still have some work to do, so I cannot do a complete test…. But I was curious if those of you who know enough about these things can tell me if you’re supposed to be able to turn the pitman arm by hand?
I can on my old one, but cannot on my new one. Hoping this is good news.

Curious to hear your thoughts. Here’s a vid of the old one.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would expect it to be tighter, maybe too tight to turn with your fingers, but yes you have to be able to turn the input shaft or it will not steer.
If it is full of fluid and the ports are capped then it would be hydro locked and very hard to turn, why the truck is nearly impossible to steer without power assist.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That gear has specific instructions for installation, do not turn the input shaft while it’s out of the truck.
This gear uses a sesctor shaft, turning it to far in either direction can cause issues.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks