• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Harbor freight 2000lb trans jack tall enough for deuce?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have suspended mine from a hoist and then used a bottle jack to line up the input shaft. It helped me to take off the inspection plate on the bell housing to see where everything was.
Edit: Mine has the pto on it too.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I just went out and measured. My trans is 32" from the ground. That jack says it will reach to 31" BUT I have 395s on my truck. If you have 900s or 1100s it should work. I still think its too much $ though.

lacoda56

Depends on if you have further use for the jack. I don't usually buy chinese crap, but I had to replace the transfercase in my 5 ton a few years back, and didn't have much choice. The jack worked well and I made up adaptors for it to drop driveshafts and R&R clutches and flywheels on the road tractors at work. It'll never replace an OTC or Blackhawk, and I question the 2000# capacity, but it is what it is and it's cheap.

yolner

I just went out and measured. My trans is 32" from the ground. That jack says it will reach to 31" BUT I have 395s on my truck. If you have 900s or 1100s it should work. I still think its too much $ though.
Not quite as bad with a 20% coupon. I have G286s and my measurement was right around 31" from the floor to trans. I guess if it doesn't reach I can put a piece of plywood under it to give it an extra inch.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I just did this and I hooked a strap to the pto and pulled up on it to "level" the trans as I was raising it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can assure you, even with that jack, a fair amount of wiggling and fitting will be required.

G-Force

You can do it Yolner!!!!!!
Set the trans on the floor and block it up so it sits level. Rerig your chain so it picks it up with the input shaft level and it will go in.............I have faith in you....you can do it!!!!!!

scoutmanadam

i would take off the pto just because its one more thing to fight with when it comes to getting everything up there and jockeying stuff around. i have used a tranny jack from harbor freight before, it worked good the only thing i didnt like and this might have just been mine but the pressure relief knob was really touchy, it was holding then a 100th of a turn later it was flying down

groundog

:grd:I BOUGHT A GOVERNMENT TRANS HOIST---SETS ON THE FLOOR INSIDE CAB---HAS A HOIST PLUS ROLLERS SO YOU CAN LIFT THE TRANS SLIGHTLY AND ROLL IT BACK TO CLEAR BELL HOUSING---LUCKILY I HAVE NOT HAD TO USE IT

466Navastar

cut off the heads of a couple bolts - or use studs .... hand screw into the bell housing and use as pilots to aim for when youre trying to line up the trans to go into the clutch spline.

once you get the trans hooked on the pilot studs....you can turn the output shaft to line up the splines - then just finess the trans into the pilot bearing....once its up close enough for the regular bolts - put a couple in and gingerly draw the trans up to the bell housing.....then remove the pilot studs and put all the bolts in and tighten

good luck - be careful

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:grd:I BOUGHT A GOVERNMENT TRANS HOIST---SETS ON THE FLOOR INSIDE CAB---HAS A HOIST PLUS ROLLERS SO YOU CAN LIFT THE TRANS SLIGHTLY AND ROLL IT BACK TO CLEAR BELL HOUSING---LUCKILY I HAVE NOT HAD TO USE IT
Have a backup plan. Sold mine after the first use (failed)

yolner

cut off the heads of a couple bolts - or use studs .... hand screw into the bell housing and use as pilots to aim for when youre trying to line up the trans to go into the clutch spline.

once you get the trans hooked on the pilot studs....you can turn the output shaft to line up the splines - then just finess the trans into the pilot bearing....once its up close enough for the regular bolts - put a couple in and gingerly draw the trans up to the bell housing.....then remove the pilot studs and put all the bolts in and tighten

good luck - be careful
Going to try a couple of studs and take the PTO off. If that doesn't work the trans jack will be my backup plan. Nuts on the PTO look crusty as **** though. Won't be fun taking them off.

ptg530C

Go to the tool rental shop and rent a trans jack. Problem solved, trans installed in less than 1 hour. Get the right tools to do the job right. I tried doing mine with the hoist method until my neighbor came by and said that when he was in the service he saw them change tranny's by taking them out from underneath. Went out rented a trans jack and was finished in an hour. Saved me a **** load of trouble.

yolner

Well I ended up getting impatient and buying the jack after work today. I still had to take the PTO off, but I managed to wrestle the trans back on the truck. The harbor freight jack has more than enough height for the job and is pretty heavy duty for a harbor freight special. Being able to twist the trans back/forth and left/right was a huge help.