• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hard starting

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
my truck has developed a problem over the last 2 days. i have to floor the accelerator to start the truck. it doesnt matter if its cold or at operating temp, it needs to be held all the way to the floor and it takes quite a few turns to start. any ideas before i go tearing into the truck?? my first thought is that i have an air leak in my fuel lines. its running as good as it usually does though, full speed and power. i go into the woods alot at night and i dont want to get stuck out there cause my truck wont start. any ideas???

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fuel quality? shut off all the way in? in tank pump working? plugged filters?

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
the fuel quaility should be very nice.i run only clean fuels, but its a mix of diesel, motor oil, ATF, hydraulic oil, and gasoline. nothing is old or came from a drain pan, i just happen to come across alot of free alternative fuel. .the intank pump should be working. i just installed a take off unit about a month ago. even so, my old one was inop for a very long time and the truck still ran nicely. the filters are prolly on the dirtier side. i had got some free kero one time and that turned into a filter change. i could have made sand castles with the filter cans it was so dirty. when i had that issue some years back the truck would only do 35 mph but it still started like it was supposed to.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I put too much gas in the mix I run, it gets hard to start and hunts at idle. Maybe try adding 5 or 10 gallons of diesel to the tank and see how that works.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hard starting on veggie oil is not a good thing, it promotes coking of the injectors, wonder if hard starting on anything will cause coking.
You may want to pull an injector and inspect the tip......

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
Re: RE: hard starting

WillWagner said:
If I put too much gas in the mix I run, it gets hard to start and hunts at idle. Maybe try adding 5 or 10 gallons of diesel to the tank and see how that works.
last week i put $40 of diesel in it one day and $50 gas the next day. plus theres alot of oils in it. the fuel looks like blood LOL yesterday it got 5 gallons of hydraulic oil. also, i never just add strait gas. it always gets atleast one gallon of oil with every 5 of gas, but usually more oil than a gallon. i will however dump some diesel in it tonite and see what happens

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
since the only thing that lubes the ip plunger is fuel, i would beware of using gas. yes it will run on it but that is mostly for emergencys when diesel is not available. check fuel pressure at filter bleeder. there are many things that will cause slow starting.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks