• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hard to start.

sermis

67 M35A2. When I got the truck it would start right up. I have put around 3000+ miles on it. It would turn over 4 or 5 times and go. Now you have to crank for 10-15 seconds or more before it will fire.
Changed the filters, bled air. Top bleeder will pump fuel 3-4' in the air. Fuel is mixed about 50 - 50 gas diesel. FDC is hooked up.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try doing less gas and more diesel. I get the same thing if I put too much gas in mine.

houdel

Were you running straight diesel at first? The 50/50 fuel blend may be affecting your FDC compensation. Also, how much have your ambient temperatures changed? Colder ambient temperatures will affect starting. I had near instantaneous starting in the summer, now that temps drop below freezing at night it takes me a little while longer to get the Deuce fired up. You MAY try turning up your fuel adjustment, no more than 1/3rd turn (two flats of the adjusting nut). If you want to go any further on the fuel adjustment install a pyrometer first to make sure your EGTs stay in the safe range. 1/3rd made a BIG difference in how my Deuce started!

sermis

Had been diesel with maybe 10% gas until my supply ran out. went 50/50 because gas is about 35-45 per gallon cheeper. Air temp yesterday was around 85 so I dont think temp is the cause. Will cut back on the gas and see.

houdel

You MAY try turning your fuel adjustment up just a TAD. Mine used to be a real bear to start, even in summertime on 100% diesel. I turned the fuel adjustment up 1/3rd turn (two flats on the adjustment nut) and now it starts like a champ. 1-2 revs and she fires right up, it used to take several seconds of cranking with full throttle to get her going. Also performance is very much improved.

I suspect the military turned down the fuel on many trucks to prevent abuse from "don't give a sh*t drivers". I WOULD NOT go more than the 1/3rd turn without installing a pyrometer to make sure your EGTs aren't getting too high though.

MrAugust

do you guys ad some lube to multi fuel mix? iv been led to belive that unleaded gas stripps the lube of the injector pump and can seperate fuel and water , the water can push up the shaft and cause sheer, but when you crank to find if fuel is been fed one injector will blead... but shaft snapped, iv spoke to 2 or so people who thisw has happend to, and said to be down to multifuel use... i add 2 stroke oil, for smoke effect and saftey, plus i dont use multifuel no more......

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sermis,you may want to check your fuel cut-off mechanism on the IP.

The shut-off handle on the dash doesn't actually attach to the lever (shown in the images below), it only engages it and when the handle is pushed back in on the dash, the lever must be free enough to return to starting=open position.

To check, remove the cover, only two screws and the control cable comes with it. Nothing can go wrong here, simple procedure, just don't lose the screws or damage the gasket.
When the lever is exposed, move it back to "stop" position and make sure it returns to full open position on its own when you let it go.
If it doesn't return right away, then the fuel is cut off to some extent and that would explain the hard starting. Continued cranking may jar it and move it to the open position, but it must be free enough to do it on its own.

I'm messing with mine on the LDS465-2 engine and it's a bit slow returning to open position having been left without a cover for years.
I'm using brake cleaner to get the gummy old oil off and relubing it.
The linkage (fuel control rod) goes to the fulcrum assy below the fuel density compensator and if mine doesn't loosen up satisfactorily, I'll have to remove the FDC and check the operation of the linkage below it. I may do that in any case, just to be sure.

Attachments

Westech

CPL
one time I was going to Lacda56's house and I ran out of diesel. So I costed in to the citgo and they did not have diesel. I filled up on 30 gallons of 87 oct gas. It was very very hard to start. But when it was running I could not tell the difference from the diesel. I have found wile messing around and trying new fuels to burn that the thicker the fuel the ezer it is to start. more btu's??

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks