• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone priced paint recently? Prices are insane

Gamble

I am in the process of painting my truck and I was shocked at the price of materials for paint. For decent, solvent based paint (Valspar) 2 Gallons of paint, primer, clear coat, reducer, hardener, etc. price points are coming in over 2k just for materials. We are in a different world today.

blutow

Just looked at RAPCO, 4 gallons
I assume the valspar mentioned earlier is a proper automotive finish (multi-stage with clear coat, 2 part with hardener), not typical to what most folks are painting military vehicles with. I've only done the spray cans from rapco, but assume their bulk paint is just basic one part enamel. Nothing wrong with that for what most folks are after, but it's not an automotive paint system like you see with passenger vehicles. It's really like comparing apples to organges, totally different products.

It's probably been 15-20 years since I have priced automotive paint and the products have changed, but materials to do a car with something like sikkens would be over $500 back then. It wouldn't surprise me if materials are over $1000 these days. $2000 sounds crazy, but maybe. Regardless, I'd never use that kind of paint system on a hmmwv, but I'm sure some people do. All the rivets and bolts on the body pretty much guarantee that you'd never have a durable high end paint job. For what it's worth, I have no plans to paint my truck. For me, the original carc w/ dings and scratches add character and I don't need to worry about someone adding more scratches.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I assume the valspar mentioned earlier is a proper automotive finish (multi-stage with clear coat, 2 part with hardener), not typical to what most folks are painting military vehicles with. I've only done the spray cans from rapco, but assume their bulk paint is just basic one part enamel. Nothing wrong with that for what most folks are after, but it's not an automotive paint system like you see with passenger vehicles. It's really like comparing apples to organges, totally different products.

It's probably been 15-20 years since I have priced automotive paint and the products have changed, but materials to do a car with something like sikkens would be over $500 back then. It wouldn't surprise me if materials are over $1000 these days. $2000 sounds crazy, but maybe. Regardless, I'd never use that kind of paint system on a hmmwv, but I'm sure some people do. All the rivets and bolts on the body pretty much guarantee that you'd never have a durable high end paint job. For what it's worth, I have no plans to paint my truck. For me, the original carc w/ dings and scratches add character and I don't need to worry about someone adding more scratches.
Agreed. Back in the day there was Dupont Imron and it was the best thing there was for painting cars with a nice shine (IMO). That was NOT cheap stuff!

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I thought he was talking about painting a military vehicle not a Prius

Gamble

If you are doing a flat color like Carc, no need for clear coat........
The clear protects the paint from scratches better than without. Trying to get a little more protection from brush and light branches when I take it off pavement. Trying to keep the paint in decent condition as long as possible but I get your point.

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed. Back in the day there was Dupont Imron and it was the best thing there was for painting cars with a nice shine (IMO). That was NOT cheap stuff!
15 years ago i painted a 16 foot car trailer with etching primer and imron paint. 1000 dollars for materials, but that paint was as good 10 years later as it was when we sprayed it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks