• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Has anyone used one of these for Deuce tires

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I use a hi-lift jack to do what that does. I doubt that would work. The hi-lift (with more concentrated contact pressure) has trouble.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Unfortunatly nothing beats the old mattock and soapy water to break down military tires.
I have tried just about everything under the sun and still use the tried and true,
A slde hammer does work sometimes depending on how many years the tire has been on the rim.
I have cut them off with a Sawzall and cutting wheel.

Hammer

You ever see what some truck shops use? I have seen one the shop had made a few decades ago.
Basically a much larger version of the slide hammer I showed.
Granted, the guy who used it was 'corn-fed' to say the least. But he made very short work of some NASTY old rims/tires that were rusted together and pitted badly.

I have also used an engine hoist. Put the rim/tire under the hoist itself, with the rim just inside the bottom arms. Then whack away with your tool of choice. I only use this method for the really bad tire/rim combos. But it does work. Even where the hi-lift failed.

maritimer

tire maul with a slight presoak of turpintine around the bead works almost every time, in leiu of acetone diesel will work but take about 20 min of soak tiem around the bead as opposed to about 5

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Split rims are MUCH more dangerous than our lock ring rims. Still need to be aware of what you are doing though.

Big Earl

Slide hammer

I recently had to take 12 old 10.00 20's apart. Made a 40lb slide hammer out of some scrap pieces of 1/4 wall tubing, let the air out, bang around the ring a few times pull it off, squirt a little soapy water between tire/flap and rim, take a piece of flat stock (I used 1" wide by 1/8" thick) work it between the flap and rim to loosen flap and get soapy water in. Use slide hammer to bang the bead loose on the other side, pull rim out. On a really bad/rusty rim, it only takes about 10 minutes from start to finish. The hammer has to be heavy to work good! Just my experience.....made life easier!